Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton Firewall and AIM

• Please log in to reply

pinkfloyd732003

pinkfloyd732003

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have Norton Internet Security 2005. When I try to log on to AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), on the bottom right-hand corner of my screen, a Norton window comes up, and it tells me that rules are automatically set for AIM, and I cannot log on. When I disable my firewall, I can successfully log on to AIM, so I know the problem is with the firewall.

I went to "configure firewall", then "programs", and then looked under the manual confirguartion for AIM. The rules for it were set to "automatic," and I changed that to "permit always." Now, when I tried to log back into AIM, the same window came up, saying that the rules were automatically set for AIM, and I was blocked out again.

I then went back to the configure option of the firewall, and said that only what is listed as manual would be followed. I disbaled the automatic part of the firewall. I set AIm back to "permit always" and tried again. NOw, a window popped up when I tried to log on, asking what I wanted to do with AIM. If I didn't answer the option of "Automatically Setting Up Rules for AIM," then this window would pop back up after I hit the OK button. It woudl do this until I did that option. So, now I cannot log into AIM without disabling my firewall. I have never had a problem like this with Norton (where a manual change in connection would be basically overidden by the automatic rules).

Please help me keep my firewall, but allow me to use AIM. I have had AIM and NIS 2005 for a long time, but this si the first time this problem has ever happened.

Thanks.

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I think you will find the answer here.symantec

search type: modifying rules for aim

Look down link to :Cannot connect to AOL 9.0 when Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall is installed

Edited by HaraldR, 04 June 2006 - 08:20 PM.

pinkfloyd732003

pinkfloyd732003

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply. I followed the directions that Symantec's website gave, and it all seems to be workign again. Thanks again.