Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pentium4

• Please log in to reply

paradien

paradien

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
how do i over clock a pentuim 4

i run a a asus p5nd2 sli, kingstone 1gb ddr, western digital 200gb hdd, asus extreme nvidia n600gt video card...and i kinda run faster...any ideas

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Intel processors are locked in the multipliers so the only way to overclock is the increase the FSB. Go with small increaments in speed. When the computer starts acting funny or locks up, or just wont start at all, back it down to the last good setting. It would be nice if your Mb has setting for video and memory clock speeds that are separate from the fsb as you can usually overclock more. Personally i find no real improvement in overclocking unless you are into online gaming.

SRX660

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
you woundt have a step by step would you...

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
You probably know this that keep in mind that OCing voids the warranty and there's always a possiblity it could fry your compy. I don't recommend OCing because you don't get that big of a jump in performance and it's just dangerous.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont link to any step by steps because there isnt alot and im of the opinion that if you dont know enough to do it without a step by step you shouldnt be overclocking.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well any other ways to increase my performance speed, and jst to add i built this comp

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Building and overclocking two totally different ball games, upgrades cleaning up the HD using a good defragger, but you get what you payed for the most part when it comes to computers.As is the same in life you dont get something for nothing,

You can still overclock just make sure you know what you are doing and bear in mind it can end up costing you alot of money if you mess up.

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
well I got this in mind ...I know for a fact that with my bored I can switch to another processor with out any problems so said by the professionals at geek squad as long as it compatible, when there were checking my wiring and he said why didn’t you get a Celeron d and I looked at it but I don’t think I was looking at the right one

paradien

paradien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
actual nvm i jst found out he proably named the wrong processers since the celron d is a 478 socket but the pentium d is the right one though see which is better

pentium d
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116212

pentium 4
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116004

scroll down for the info on each processor