Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Doesn't Idle

• Please log in to reply

getsgo83

getsgo83

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My screen saver worked for about the first year of having my computer, then it just stopped popping up when the selected time has passed. My video card settings are fine, so I don't know where the problem is coming from. I also haven't be able to get my aol instant messenger name to show as "idle" on other peoples' lists. Something is obviously keeping my CPU from idling, which won't allow the screen saver to run automatically. That's as far as my computer knowledge can take me right now. Here's a HijackThis log incase that helps. Any thoughts?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:21:52 PM, on 3/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\devldr32.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://by103fd.bay10...g=EN&country=US
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dellnet.com
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Pa&nicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro - {B1E741E7-1E77-40D4-9FD8-51949B9CCBD0} - C:\Program Files\Panicware\Pop-Up Stopper Pro\popuppro.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM95\aim.exe
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: Intel® NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NMSSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

Advertisements

HolidayForHire

HolidayForHire

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I had the same problem, with my idleness and AIM. I was wondering if anyone out there knows how to fix this problem?

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Well, try this: Open the task manager and go to processes. Then go to the bottom and check to see if there is a processes called: "system idle process". If its not there the problem might have to do with that.....I guess that doesn't really help but check it out.

Michael

getsgo83

getsgo83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but System Idle Process is listed as a running process under my task manager. Any other thoughts?

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
strange, i've never heard of such a thing...

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I would try opening my task manager and closing any nonessential running processes. After doing that, if your system idles properly, it is just a matter of figuring out which process is causing the problem. If nothing changes, then it may indeed be malware.

Hope this helps.

HolidayForHire

HolidayForHire

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks all. the process "System Idle Process" is still running so that's not it, and I tried closing all the other weird programs but it still does the problem. I guess it is malware. Thanks anyways though