Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Windows XP Help

• Please log in to reply

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Wow, this one is the worst I've encountered!

A few days ago my hard drive was making a sound like a ratchet wrench then some clicks and then the ratchet sounds again. Whenever this was being done I would not be able to do anything or if I was performing a search the search would stop until the ratchet sound stopped.

Last night I updated my virus program and then performed a virus scan, which resulted in zero viruses. I cleared out all the cookies and files/folders and cleared all the adware. I then turned off my computer and then restarted. When the computer started there was a message that my windows may have been hijacked. The Excel, Microsoft word, Windows Explorer, etc icons, to the right of the start buttom, were gone. They were there before I shut my system down, but when I rebooted they were gone. I was able to connect to the internet with my Windows Explorer icon on the desktop, check my mail, perform searches, etc.

My wife went to Microsoft update and saw that there was an update for this problem and she started the download. I came in and saw that she selected Windows 2000, not XP. I told her to cancel the download, but our system had locked up. We could not click on the "X", minimize, start button, etc. So, we had no option but to hit the off button.

Well, now we can't even get the system to start properly. The computer will turn on, but we receive these message:

A problem with the hard drive has been detected. Consult the troubleshooting section of your user's manual. Press enter to continue In addition to this message, my hard drive is making the ratchet sound.

I click the "enter" button and receive this message:

A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

When I do this I receive the following message:

A problem with the hard drive has been detected. Consult the troubleshooting section of your user's manual. Press enter to continue

Does anyone know what is going one and can you help?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi we3luvdisney...

Sounds like you may have lost the hard drive. Do the "ratcheting" sounds sound anything like the attached .wav file?

wannabe1

Attached Files

we3luvdisney

we3luvdisney

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Nope, it doesn't sound like this but it's close. My sound is similiar to someone using a ratchet wrench, very quickly.

BTW - Just noticed that you live in Bozeman. I use to work for a company that was located in Bozeman. Been there several times --- beautiful country!

Hi we3luvdisney...

Sounds like you may have lost the hard drive. Do the "ratcheting" sounds sound anything like the attached .wav file?

wannabe1

Edited by we3luvdisney, 05 June 2006 - 08:18 AM.