Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking new MoBO/Processor

• Please log in to reply

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
hey, i want to Over Clock my new Mobo and process, and i would like ot know the safeest amout i could do it, i got plenty of ventelation, and i saw it can be done in my bios, my MoBo and Process or in my computer specs

Edited by goladith, 25 April 2004 - 09:37 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Are you using the stock CPU cooler?

You have a very overclockable system. You'll want to increase the voltage to your memory and CPU, then start increasing the FSB in your BIOS. Go about 5mhz at a time, until Windows refuses to load, then back off and begin tweaking. <_<

There's a lot of info here:
http://www.overclockers.com
Including a database showing what others have been able to overclock their systems to, as well as some good guides and tips for increasing success.

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
yea, i have the stock heatsink and fan on the CPU, but i got 2 extra 80mm fans on the case, the CPU temp has not gone above 100F yet, and the air in the case stayes about 65F, so, i should have ecent ventelation for it, what would you consider a safe speed for OCing in your opinion?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You should have no problem increasing the FSB from 166 to 200mhz. At which point your 2500+ will be performing like a 3200+ <_<

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
cool, what would the aprox ghz be then?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
2200mhz

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
so, my cooling should be adaquite?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you get the stock cooler with the copper core. If it's all aluminum I'd upgrade it.

goladith

goladith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
about howmuch they cost? because it is aluminum (sp?) i horable at spelling, anyways, ok, i iwll look in to it

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Unless you're trying to squeeze every mhz out of your CPU, you don't need a very expensive one. The most important thing is that it has a copper core. There are many, many heatsink fan reviews on the Internet.

spazproductions

spazproductions

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I over clocked mine, and im at the point where Windows wont load....how do i get windows back and my processor back to orignal speed??

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The easiest way is to reset your BIOS. Disconnect the power, remove the computer case, look for a battery on the motherboard (like shown below). Remove this battery for at least five minutes. Then replace the battery, and reconnect the power. Reboot and see if it worked. You'll need to reset the system time and date.

A typical motherboard battery:
Posted Image

spazproductions

spazproductions

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i tried that, i had the battery out for 30 min and still nothin. and i cant find any of those jumper pins or whatever either.

its a AMD Ahtlon 2100+

what else can i do?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Not much else you can do. Try leaving the battery out overnight, if that doesn't work, try a couple days. If still no luck you must have toasted something--most likely the motherboard. <_<

spazproductions

spazproductions

• Pip
  • 3 posts
'removed' --family forum, please keep it clean <_<

thanks any way. :D

Edited by admin, 21 June 2004 - 10:47 PM.