Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What media card to buy for media center pc

• Please log in to reply

SDSPARK58

SDSPARK58

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i want to add a tv tuner card to my media center pc but dont know what to get. any suggestions? 1 i seen at comp usa was theater 550, it came with a remote for media center. also i have a fic motherboard with onboard video. would it be better to get a ati all in wonder video card instead of just a tv tuner card. my goal is to hook up to my sat. and tv to ust my pc like a pvr.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A dedicated TV card would be better than a graphics card with TV capabilities. Happauge makes some good cards. I like the PVR-350 myself.

http://www.hauppauge.com/

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would stick with Haupage if you can afford them you want to check any prosective cards compatibility with MCE, Vista and the Linux media centers.

SDSPARK58

SDSPARK58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok i found 1 what do you think of the visiontech theater 550?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The only place i can find them is on Ebay and that tells me they are very off brand and probably have no support at all. Take your chances if you buy it but i want quality for my money and happauge gives you that.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There are other brands apart from Haupage but TV cards are hard to get as they often come from a handful of sources but are continually rebranded again and agani so its hard to find out where they came from.

You want one that will have good driver support.

SDSPARK58

SDSPARK58

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.compusa.c...3900&pfp=SEARCH

ok they sell them at comp usa here is a link i just want to know if this is what i am looking for its a xtecy card powered by ati.

like i said i want to use it as a pvr so i can record shows.