Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

login problem with my pc's internet

• Please log in to reply

steelcity

steelcity

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
How do you set a site into the trusted zone?

Advertisements

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello steelcity

I assume that you are wanting to add a site to the trusted zone in Internet Explorer.

To do so follow these steps:

1) Open up Internet Explorer
2) Click on Tools > Internet Options
3) Now click the 'Security' tab then click the Green circle icon with a tick inside it
4) Now click the 'Sites' button below the Green Circle and enter the website that you want to add to the strusted zone
5) Once you have put in the FULL URL, click 'Add' then 'OK'
6) Thats you finished.

If you need anymore help, let me know

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks, I tried it but it did not work. My problem is that I cannot get the windows update to work. It begins the scan for new updates but then it goes to an error reading (0x80072EFD) I have tried the suggestions, but they have not worked. The other problem is that I cannot login to certain websites such as my hotnmail.com account or bank account. It lets me on their mainpage, but as soon as I add my username and password and click go, it goes to cannot find server - This page cannot be displayed. Please help!

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
I had the same problem as you with the windows update but I done what I told you to do and It worked fine.

Can you please tell me the FULL URL of the site that you put in the Trusted Sites

To solve your other problems, I would try and use a different browser such as firefox (Click my firefox signature to go to the firefox homepage)

Let me know ASAP if you need anymore help :whistling:

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
http://*.update.microsoft.com as well as
http://download.windowsupdate.com

These are the two that I added. I have already tried the Firefox internet and it will not let the website load. It says something about the proxy or firewall setting.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

These are the two that I added. I have already tried the Firefox internet and it will not let the website load. It says something about the proxy or firewall setting.

Is this part refering to you not being able to access your hotmail etc?

If it saying something about a firewall then I would PM a professional on this site.

Tell them your problem as well as a link to this post.

Im sorry i cant help you any further but I will keep looking for you,

:whistling:

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thanks buddy.

How do I find a professional?

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
hey,

I have informed an expert to look at this post.

I hope I helped :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have cookies enabled? Do you have active X enabled? Do you use any ad blocking software? When did the problem accessing secure sites and MS update begin? Did it coincide with the addition of any new hardware or software?

When you had the error, did the system blue screen or just say "IE has encountered an error and needs to close?" Have you looked in the event logs for errors at that time?

Johanna

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm not sure. Where do I find cookies or the active x. There is some ad blocking software, but I'm not sure what it is.

The problem began after I took my computer to a pc repair company. They cleaned it up, as far as spy ware and viruses and then installed McAffee antivirus ( I previously had Norton on it)(Also the Norton was still working when I brought the computer home) We tried to uninstall it but could not.

I brought it home and it worked fine and fast too, except that when I tried to open some sites, it would not let me.

My brother told me that it was probably because I had not had a microsoft update on it so we tried and it went to that error during the scan.

I don't know what the event logs are.

I appreciate any help, but I understand if you can't considering that I am not very up to date about these things.

Advertisements

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

The problem began after I took my computer to a pc repair company. They cleaned it up, as far as spy ware and viruses and then installed McAffee antivirus ( I previously had Norton on it)(Also the Norton was still working when I brought the computer home) We tried to uninstall it but could not.

A PC Repair company installed TWO ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS AT ONCE :whistling: :blink:

This is outrageous...you should only have one anti-virus program installed at any one time

Dont worry im not blaming you for this problem :help: :)

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So, do you think she's coming back to help me?

I haven't been able to remove the Norton, so instead I removed the McAfee.

Still not working, not sure how to check if there are two firewalls up.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well heres a post as how to remove Norton products too ---> How to remove Norton products

To be honest with you m8, these well known antivirus programs are well known for being system resources which means that they slow your pc down, take up alot of your memory and are not as good as they claim to be.

I cant tell you to remove a program but I would advise you to get either AVG or Avast antivirus which are better than these well known programs :whistling:

AVG - http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Avast - http://www.avast.com

Only thing is you need to pay a very small price..... FREE :blink:

Let me know what you're going to do....

Ohh... almost forgot - she will be back soon. She is probably looking up your problem with fellow experts :help:

Hope this helps

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
In Internet Explorer, click "tools" then Internet Options> Advanced

You can check permissions from there.

If there is ad blocking software, try shutting it off (a right click on the icon in the notification area, maybe?)

Barros is right- do not use 2 AV programs at the same time. They will fight with each other, but they usually don't cause problems like you are describing.

Event Logs are in Admin Tools, and the errors will be expandable. Don't worry if you don't understand them, but if you could let us know what you see, it gives us a clue.

Did the shop give you any kind of warranty for their work? I can't imagine returning a customer's computer without verifying that it works properly!

Johanna

Steelcity- are you from Pgh? I am from Little Washington originally. :whistling:

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
To Johanna -

I was just alerting steelcity not to have 2 AV programs installed because we dont want he/she to be going through the malware forum as well :blink:

:whistling: