Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

login problem with my pc's internet

• Please log in to reply

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello guys, as in Johanna and Barros. First let me say, thank you all for the help. It hasn't worked yet, but I appreciate the help.

Johanna, I am not from the Burgh, but I've been there and I'm a huge Steeler fan and someday I'm going to retire there. sigh Anyway...

I tried the permission area and could not find a listing for cookies, active x, or ad blocking software. Could these be listed elsewhere.

I turned off the pop up blocker and tried, but no cigar.

I could not find the event logs or administrative tools.

Oh, the error that I received from the ms update is 0x80072EFD

The computer repair people told me that spyware and viruses are the causes for what my computer was experiencing and that they could not cover it because I could have gotten new ones as soon as I began to use the internet at home. Go figure.

By the way, most of the websites that I cannot get into are like this one. I can't get into my pittsburgh live steelers forum. I get on the the website, but once I put in my username and password, it goes to the cannot find server page. I can't believe this one is working.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You didn't say you had an EMERGENCY...not being able to log onto a Steeler site...aaarrgghhh! I married an Ohio boy...can you believe he roots for the Bengals? It's embarrassing.

http://www.updatexp....0x80072efd.html
Try Suggestion 3

Right click "My Computer" and select "manage"
look at the system logs for errors in red

Look in all programs and see if you can identify which software is your ad blocker. There should be a way to temporarily disable it. Not a pop up blocker, an ad blocker.

From Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> Security tab> highlight Internet> choose "custom level" and check permissions. For the purpose of this diagnostic, allow them all.

What firewall do you have? If you don't have MacAffee or Norton running as a firewall, make sure XP's is enabled. It's better than nothing. AV has nothing to do with this- we are trying to get you able to log in on member sites.

Bear with us, we'll get you fixed...won't be able to sleep knowing a Steeler fan has a hardship.

Johanna

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Johanna,

Well I bet you have alot to talk about during breakfast everyday...hahaha

Okay, I tried suggestion 3, except that I cannot find that Win whatever file so I had to stop there on that one.

In the event logs there are some errors in red, alot of them.

I found the ad blocker, I believe it is ad ware SE from lavasoft, but it will only let me uninstall it not disable.

On the next one, when you say allow them all, do you mean go in and check all the enable squares.

I think that only the XP firewall is running now. How can I check for this.

Thanks

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You need to enable hidden files and folders to be shown. My Computer> Folder Options> View tab

tick "show protected system files" untick "Hide protected files"

It would help to know the errors from the event log.

AdAware by Lavasoft is a scanner, not an ad blocker. Don't uninstall it, or worry about it.

Set your permissions in the Security section for "medium default" and that ought to be fine.

Check the firewall in Control Panel> Security Center> click Firewall -make sure it is ON.

Johanna

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did what you asked to enable hidden folders, but I still can't find that file that suggestion 3 asks for. Should I put these back now or try something else.

The errors say application hang under applications and under system it say microsoft update agent. I 'm not sure what part of the error you need, but it shows alot of both of these errors.

I set the permissions for medium default, but it didn't work.

Windows firewall is on, but how could I check to see if there are any others.

Thanks

steelcity

steelcity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I never heard back from you guys, the problem was not resolved, should I put the settings back the way they were before you all started giving me the trouble shooting help.

Thanks

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hey,

Send a message to Johanna and ask her to help in this topic again - i think she may be busy just now :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you clear that HOSTs file (suggestion 3) you ought to be good to go. That file has to be there- did you locate it yet? Follow the path to it carefully. I can't give you any more advice to try until you complete this step, or we're shooting in the dark.

Johanna