Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRQL

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi y'all.

For some reason I can't get into windows normally and I always end up at the blue screen saying

Irql not less or equal.

The technical information is.

Stop: 0x0000000A (0X6E783FE1, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804DBE7B)

Before this started happening I'd left my account on switch users with several programmes running. I returned later to find the screen had frozen so I restarted manually. The computer then started in Check disk mode but when it got to scanning free space (I think it was called that) it wouldn't go past 24%. I tried this several times. Eventually I gave up and just bypassed check disk when it asked to be performed. The computer was working more or less okay but then after I restarted I started having having the problem I've described.

Now I can only get into windows (XP) in safe mode. I haven't installed any new hardware or software in the last week.

However I did a CHKDSK in safe mode and in a file called FOUND.000 there were lots of files linked to Norton anti-virus which I installed about 2 months ago.The rest were temporary internet files.

Help appreciated.

Advertisements

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Have you read this? http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q314063

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I have looked at that.

I'm pretty sure its due to corrupted files so using "Last Known Good configuration" or system restore hasn't worked.

Plus I don't have the Windows XP CD.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I've noticed now that the numbers that come up on the blue screen aren't always the same.

Sometimes it's 0x000000D1 and a different series of digits inside the brackets.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
strat with a more intense chkdsk

Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I don't have access to my laptop right now so I can't try that but the problem is I can't get into windows normally at all.

I think that means I can't run chkdsk properly.

When the computet starts it goes straight from the Windows logo to the blue screen.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Hi y'all.

Now I can only get into windows (XP) in safe mode.

You can run this is safe mode

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Hi y'all.

Now I can only get into windows (XP) in safe mode.

You can run this is safe mode

Ok that seems to have fixed the problem. Thanx

However it took 12 hours. Is that normal?

Secondly what should I do about the Found.000 folder that was turned into a file. Is there a way to find out if any important files were erased or changed during the Check disk.

Thirdly what can I do to make this sort of thing less likely in the future?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
12 hours, no, not normal

That is one corrupted file system you had, or it could be a failing drive

In fact, if it were me, I would run it again and see how long it takes a second time

FOUND.000 files are a cruel joke. They give the illusion of recovering something, but really do not. What they are are file remnants left over from either corrupted files or pieces of file that were recovered when parts of your drive have gone bad. You can open them in notepad to recover important documents or parts of them, but mostly they are junk

The fact this took 12 hours could indicate a failing harddrive. When sectors go bad, chkdsk will try and recover data from them, then mark the sector as bad so new data is not written to them.

You may be able to gain a better understanding of what went on during all this by doing the following

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Search for the WINLOGON under APPLICATION...double click on it...chdkdsk will save a log to that event on the first boot following a chkdsk

To prevent some of this, I run chkdsk at least once a month and defrag my computer at least as often. Minor disk errors can lead to major ones, so running chkdsk more often will help keep the minor ones in check

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

12 hours, no, not normal

That is one corrupted file system you had, or it could be a failing drive

In fact, if it were me, I would run it again and see how long it takes a second time

FOUND.000 files are a cruel joke. They give the illusion of recovering something, but really do not. What they are are file remnants left over from either corrupted files or pieces of file that were recovered when parts of your drive have gone bad. You can open them in notepad to recover important documents or parts of them, but mostly they are junk

The fact this took 12 hours could indicate a failing harddrive. When sectors go bad, chkdsk will try and recover data from them, then mark the sector as bad so new data is not written to them.

You may be able to gain a better understanding of what went on during all this by doing the following

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Search for the WINLOGON under APPLICATION...double click on it...chdkdsk will save a log to that event on the first boot following a chkdsk

To prevent some of this, I run chkdsk at least once a month and defrag my computer at least as often. Minor disk errors can lead to major ones, so running chkdsk more often will help keep the minor ones in check

I'll try that.Thanx

I don't know if this is important but what seemed to take the bulk of the time during the chkdsk was the verifying of the free space. The scanning of the files and folders only took about 90 minutes.

When I woke up it was at 37% of verifying free space and 2 hours later it was finished. Eight hours had passed though.

Advertisements

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Now that the drive is booting, you could also run a "chkdsk /p" (note the space and drop the quotes). This will tell you is there are any remaining problems on the volume. If there are, your drive is most likely failing.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how big is the harddrive?

note: chkdsk is implied by /r and will only work in recovery console

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

how big is the harddrive?

37 gig.

note: chkdsk is implied by /r and will only work in recovery console

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Now that the drive is booting, you could also run a "chkdsk /p" (note the space and drop the quotes). This will tell you is there are any remaining problems on the volume. If there are, your drive is most likely failing.

I did it and a black DOS window came up for a split second but then disappeared

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I ran chkdsk again.

I'm not sure how long it ran because I went to sleep but it wasn't more than eight hours.

Now I'm having trouble with my media.

It isn't so bad with audio but with video there's a lot of crackling noise and stopping as well.

It's like there is some other process running that's taking up a lot of memory.

I've run a virus check (nothing) and gotten rid of what little spyware there was but the problem remains.