Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRQL

• Please log in to reply

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

no, it
s actually a dword value, rather than numerical value, and simple means 1=enabled and 0=disabled

What was supposed to happen after this?

It restarted normally but nothing happened. The value that I changed to one was zero again and the current transfer mode of device 0 is still PIO.

Advertisements

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
update

I uninstalled the primary IDE channel which then re-installed itself. That seems to have solved the sound problem.

The current transfer transfer mode of device 0 is now Ultra DMA Mode 5. Should it be this?

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
le bump

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is odd, where is my response? I posted one Saturday....or thought I did

Yes, that is normal, you should be udma5 or udma4 depending on your drive and controller

Now, here is the rub, what caused it to drop into PIO mode?

Windows will throttle back if it is having a difficult time accessing the drive in the faster modes, so something made it drop back....hopefully, it was the disk corruption addressed by the chkdsk and it will not throttle back again

Is it still at udma 5?

ira_gaines

ira_gaines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

that is odd, where is my response? I posted one Saturday....or thought I did

Yes, that is normal, you should be udma5 or udma4 depending on your drive and controller

Now, here is the rub, what caused it to drop into PIO mode?

Windows will throttle back if it is having a difficult time accessing the drive in the faster modes, so something made it drop back....hopefully, it was the disk corruption addressed by the chkdsk and it will not throttle back again

Is it still at udma 5?

Yes

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i would say you are good to go then