Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Port Fowarding no longer working ?

• Please log in to reply

jara1

jara1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Any input appreciated.

I have been using an old PII for a Personal Web Server.
I am connected to the Internet through a cable modem (Motorola SB5100)
I received this new modem (Motorola SB5100) and installed it 2 days ago, now I can no longer access my Web page ?

My ISP blocks port 80, so through my Linksys (BEFSR41) I was using Port Fowarding between port 99 (TCP/UDP packets) and my PII's internal IP address.

Prior to installing this new Modem 2 days ago, I had been using the same older Cable Modem for 8 years with the same ISP. I only began using Port Fowarding 1 year ago when I bought the Linksys. So for one whole year I was able to access my Web Page on the PII.

I'm not sure where to begin looking for the problem, any clues will be appreciated.

http://my.some.domain:99 <-- Is what I was using before. I had registered a DOMAIN through DynDNS.org - and was using a free DNS client I downloaded.

I tried changing the port from 99 to others but no change, still receiving the dreaded "The page cannot be displayed". I'm no networking guru but know some basic, just enough to be dangerous on my own computer.

Regards,
Jara

Advertisements

jara1

jara1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I should add that I am using XP (for 2 years) with SP2 (several months now).
on the old PII, and Apache HTTP Server 2.0.52.

I have tweaked very little in httpd.conf, basically entered my url, port (99) and the www is understood option, that's pretty much it. The only thing that changed is the Cable Modem, and that in itself is a big change. I am now noticing some output rom ipconfig that I never notived before?

I never noticed info such as :

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-65
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.101%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Incase this means anything to anyone,..

Regards,
Jara

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Do you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router? If so then you need to enter the new MAC address off of your cable modem into the list of allowed MAC's.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

jara1

jara1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Finally resolved my issue !

The problem all this time was that with the new Videotron Modem, My leased IP address is on a totally different addressing range then the old one ,.. My new IP address begins with 70.80.x.x ,.. old IP was always 204.x.x.x .

When I reviewed my account at www.dyndns.org, somehow it was resolving my domain to the old IP address I was leasing with my old Modem ,... ,.. I refreshed it ,. and let the IP resolving propogate overnight. I tried my home page this morning and everything worked just fine.!!

Thank you all for your tip SuperMod, it was greatly appreciated nevertheless. All it was,... was this silly little detail, heck I'm still using port 99 (although unrecommended) ,.. but I use this strictly for experimenting.

Regards,