Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Sharing on home network

• Please log in to reply

skselders

skselders

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Good morning,

I am VERY new to networking, so hope I am in the right spot and that you can (patiently) help me...

I have a desktop PC, and I have a wireless laptop. I have a Laser printer that is attached via parallel port to the desktop PC.

I thought I could just click on printer sharing and print from my laptop to that printer and it would merrily print out but that doesn't happen.

Both are running windows xp. I am on dsl, and use a Netgear wireless router WGR614 v6 to connect both computers to the internet. A friend suggested that I now need to buy a printer router too, a little item I really can't afford just now. Others have said I don't need a printer router, just need to have the printer and the desktop PC on at the same time as the laptop. I right-clicked on the printer and told it to share. Alas and alack, it didn't.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.geekstogo...ng-t102163.html give that a read

skselders

skselders

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you - I did read it, printed it, read it again, and still no print from the laptop.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Some routers have ports for the printer, but if it's conneceted via parralel port the computer it would have to be on.
There could be a number of problems

These are only simple solutions that I could think of. Give 'em a try

Did you run the network setup wizard?
Make sure the printer on when you installed the network.

Did you install the printer on the laptop?
In control panel, >select printers and faxes >select add printer >select A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer. Follow the setup.

Or, in control panel select >network connections >double click Local Area Network >Properties tab > Selcet box: File and printer sharing

This is all I can think of at the moment.

adqjohn

adqjohn

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmmm... sarahw brought up some good points. Not too laong ago I went to a wireless home network too.
Same setup. Printer cabled to the desktop and desktop cabled to the wireless router. Did the wizard thing, had File and print enabled on both machines and couldn't print from the wireless laptop. Spent a day fooling with it and then I noticed I could not ping the desktop from my laptop. Okayyyyy. I had previously disabled the windows firewalls (cuz they are like a straw hut to begin with) and use Norton for that purpose. Turns out the Norton firewall on my desktop was blocking access. Went into it and the Personal Firewall/config has a Home Network Zone. Click Add and type in ip of the laptop (192.168.1.x) and bingo I had wireless access to the printer. (I can ping now) I would imagine any other firewalls would have the same effect.?? Hope that helps