Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word 2003 will not save

• Please log in to reply

neonapple

neonapple

• Pip
  • 3 posts
We are running a small office network with a server (Server running Window sServer 2000), where we save all of our documents on a shared drive, that are then backed nightly. (The shared drive also has about 20 GB of HD space.)

I have one user who is running a new Dell Inspiron 600m running Windows XP Pro with MS Office 2003 - the laptop has 512MB RAM and an 80 GB HD. It is running the latest Windows SP2 and updates and the most recent MS Office 2003 updates.

Twice in the last 2 weeks this user has worked on a MS Word document and saved it either to the server or on their desktop (their desktop files sync with their files on the server).

After saving the document (NO ERROR MESSAGES COME UP)- they go back to the document later in the day and it is not where they saved it. It isn't in the "Recently used Documents". Searches on the C drive of the laptop and the shared files on the server turn up nothing. No errors or events are logged on the server during this time period. It isn't in the recycle bin.

I'd like to chalk it up to user error but this particular user is pretty computer savvy.

Anyone have any ideas? I am stumped since this is not a consistant issue and none of my other users are having issues with Word or saving to our server.

:tazz:

Thanks,
NeonApple

Advertisements

Nand

Nand

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Has the document that cannot be saved by any chance been created using a template (.dot)?

We have stumbled into a similar problem and believe that Word tries to save the template instead of the document. Since our templates are read-only it cannot write to it. Unfortunately it just ignores the save command without any warning or error message.

Note that we still do not know why it wants to save the template iso the document. We're still trying to figure this out.

Nand