Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System resetting after new RAM install

• Please log in to reply

Basilik

Basilik

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My system is running an AMD 64 processor 3000 + and was orginally running on 512MB of ram. It is running on a socket 754 motherboard, so the ram is PC3200 DDR. I recently purchased a 1GB PC3200 stick of ram and after installing the ram, the computer started to randomly reset. I tried removing the old 512 stick, but it still reset. I removed the new 1GB stick and put the 512 stick back in and the computer is working properly again. Why is the computer resetting with this new stick of ram? Is this ram stick bad? The details of the new ram stick are as follows:

1GB DDR-400Mhz-CL3
PC3200U-30331
Unregistered

Elixir is the manufacturer

The old stick of ram is also PC3200 DDR, but not made by the same company. Also, the old stick says it is two bank. The new stick does not say 2 bank. Not sure if that matters or not.

Ken :whistling:

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Every motherboard has a limit as to how much memory you can put in each RAM slot. I know that my motherboard has a 512 MB limit per slot, maxing my potential ram at 2 GB.

I recommend grabbing 2 512 sticks instead, as it's very likely your motherboard doesnt support 1 GB of ram in 1 slot.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the timing or voltage may not be the same, or it could indeed be bad ram,

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post