Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP, Pro needs to be activated

• Please log in to reply

rtullier

rtullier

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
After removing a recent infection, I used my OS disk from DELL to 'refresh' (chose the "Upgrade" option in the install process) XP, Pro. After the install finished I logged in normally but got a message box saying something to the effect of "This copy of Windows needs to be activated by MicroSoft, activate now?". When I choose "yes" or "no", the system immediately logs me off without "activating".

I am using the original DELL XP CD, entering my license code (which it accepts). I have tried this a couple of times with the same results. I even tried my DELL desktop XP CD, which was bougth at the same time. Same deal either way.

What's up?

Thanks for your help,
rtullier

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Something went wrong with the install...rerun the install or run a repair if your CD allows it (some OEMs do not)_

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;330136

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the quick response. I will try that this evening. Is this the likely problem even though I have tried the "Upgrade" 3 times? The last 2 times, I re-started, hit f8 and booted to the command prompt. I then ran the install from the command line.

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could you go here
http://www.thecomput...sidebyside.html

look at the fifth image down...what choice are you pressing here

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have not yet tried the repair. To get to the command prompt, I restarted, hit f8 (which brings up the safe mode selections) and chose "Windows XP with command prompt". I can try the repair later this evening.

Thanks

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The repair process worked.

Thanks for your help