Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High CPU Usage

• Please log in to reply

writhziden

writhziden

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I recently installed Windows XP Professional on a brand new 300 GB hard drive. Unfortunately, my computer is not running properly now. Various programs run slowly. My task manager is showing my CPU Usage at 97%, but the system idle process is at 90-99%. There are no Trojans, spyware, or viruses on my computer based on Pest Patrol and PC-Cillin. I have 1 GB of Samsung PC2700 installed in the motherboard, as well. What else may be causing this problem? I appreciate any help that can be offered.

Advertisements

writhziden

writhziden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here are my specs so you don't have to open my profile.

Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Processor
MSI 865PE Neo2-P Motherboard
128 MB Mad Dog Conquerer Graphics Card
Pinnacle AV/DV Video Card

writhziden

writhziden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To help anyone who may read this post in the future, my problem ended up being device driver related. The 97% CPU Usage was a result of hardware interrupts. Once I repaired Windows XP Professional, everything worked great.

sonodoc

sonodoc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

To help anyone who may read this post in the future, my problem ended up being device driver related.  The 97% CPU Usage was a result of hardware interrupts.  Once I repaired Windows XP Professional, everything worked great.

View Post

I am having similar problems. Could you elaborate on how you repaired XP Pro for those of us not sophisticated in these matters?

writhziden

writhziden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To repair Windows XP, insert the CD for XP and reboot your computer. When asked to press any key to boot from CD, do so. If you are not asked, reboot and keep pushing F2 until you reach the BIOS screen. Change your boot sequence so your computer boots from CD first. Then restart your computer to receive the message to press any key to boot from CD. Press a key on the keyboard, and XP will scan your hardware. It will then ask if you want to install a new Windows XP OS or Repair an old one. Choose to install the new one. Agree to the license. You will now be asked if you want to repair Windows XP. This is when you select Repair by typing the R key.

Note: I have XP Professional. For home edition, I was never able to get repair to work. If repair doesn't work, follow the same process, only choose to install a new Windows XP OS and delete partition on the next step. This will reinstall Windows XP and clear your hard drive, so make sure your important data is backed up on another hard disk or on a CD or DVD. Hope this information is helpful.