Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death on XP

• Please log in to reply

dystantme

dystantme

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi! I'm a big fan of Geekstogo, as you saved me when a virus attacked my computer earlier this year.

Today, I'm having a major XP issue. I don't think it's a virus, but a hardware compatibility issue, but what do I know?

Here's the deal: Today, I was innocently typing an email using IE and Yahoo Mail. Suddenly, I got a blue screen with an error message about "inpage-kernel" and physical memory dump. I restarted the computer, and it began checking things, and was furiously dumping "orphan files", then suddenly stopped! It was left with a brief message on a blue screen... about stopping at a numbered component, and cannot load "winsvr". Then it says.. "reinstalling this program may fix the problem".

Well.. I have my original disks to reload anything I need to reload. However, I cannot even get into Safe Mode because that blue screen returns and there is no way to get around it. The computer looks as though it's going to boot up, because the XP screen comes on.. then it just stops.

Any thoughts on getting past that blue screen long enough to reset the computer or reload XP? :whistling:

Thanks!!
Diana

Edited by dystantme, 05 June 2006 - 03:49 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XPthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315222

dystantme

dystantme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply.

However, as I mentioned before, I cannot get into Safe Mode at all. It acts as though it's going to, listing partitioning things, but then stops with an error message:

STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

So.. I"m left unable to get in to any mode. Any hints? I don't have an XP Startup disk... just an XP original disk, but the computer won't recognize it because XP won't start.

Thank you again... :whistling:

Diana

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safe Mode with Command Prompt is slightly different in that it kicks in before most of the loading, so worth a go

If you cannot get it to run

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

dystantme

dystantme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks that worked. One thing I did have to do, was disable the hard drive completely from the boot, in order to get the CD to boot correctly. Consider this closed... thank you so much!! You all rock!!

diana :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know