Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does anyone know step by step instruction how to transfer files from w

• Please log in to reply

Invisible Man

Invisible Man

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My mother in law had a business computer using windows 95 and now she got a new computer running w2k. She want me to save or transfer all her business files to the new pc.

What software program do I need to make this happen?

p.s. It would take me thousand of floppy disk to save all her files. BTW, her pc with w95 os does not have a cd burner.

Any help would be appreciate!!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the hard drive from the Windows 95 machine, put it in the Win2k machine, use the IDE cable from the CD Unit and any available connector.

Copy what you need. Shut down, take the new drive out, plug back in the CDs and the job is done.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
If you can connect them both to a LAn or connect them via crossover cable you use the"Map a Network Drive"option in the Tool tab in My Computer. Simple drag and drop the items where yu want them to go.

Doktor_Ivan

Doktor_Ivan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I agree with Neil that slaving the old drive into the new computer would be ideal, fastest too if there is a lot of data.

Another option though would be a USB transfer cable. I came across a USB to USB Bridge data trasfer cable 2 weeks ago on www.tigerdirect.com, got it, since then been using it for transfers almost daily. Very easy to set up. On a windows 95 box you may want to check for USB connections though.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Th reason I did not recommend USB is because early versions of '95 did not support USB. You could use a serial RS232 connection although it would be very slow.
Since it did not involve openig the case I thought connecting to a LAN or using an $8 crossover cable would be a viable option.
There are several way to approach the problem, and of the ones discussed here none are wrong. IMHO

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My first suggestion would also be to move the Windows 95 hard drive into the new Windows 2000 computer can copy through the Windows interface. In 2000 this should work fine. Someimtes in XP I have seen problems with the computer recognising a Windows 95 A hard drive format though.

Invisible Man

Invisible Man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you,

I follow neil advise and take the old windows 95 hdd and made it a slave on the new machine that have w2k. I copy what ever she needed for her work than I ofcourse burn on cd. After I was done I remove the slave hdd.

Thanks for all ur response