Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Registry Errors in brand new PC

• Please log in to reply

ZeldaCubeGamer

ZeldaCubeGamer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there! I'm a brand new member & have looked over the forums & threads here. This looks like the right place to post my questions. If I'm mistaken...please let me know.

IN A NUTSHELL) :blink:

1) I'd like to post the results of the Registry scans I've run, but neither program seems to allow Cut/Paste or print options. Anyone know how I can show my Reg. scan results?
2) I need to "backup" my Registry onto a CD, but don't know how. I hear that "Export/Import" of the Reg. is a very poor choice due to the "merging" that occurs.
3) Ultimately I need help sorting out my registry without causing any harm.

My computer:
Dell Dimension 3000, 256 MB DDR SDRAM, Sys. Memory Speed is 333MHz, Bus Speed is 533MHz, Clock Speed is 2.40GHz, L2 Cache Size is 256 KB, OS is Windows XP Home SP2 with all updates made to date. I also have a CD Burner for CD-R & CD-WR, but no floppy...& only one HD/hard drive (C:)

I'm also running: Panda Titanium AV/Spyware (constantly). Once a day I'll run Ad Aware SE Personal & Spybot S&D.

I just completely cleared my PC by using the incorporated Dell "PC Restore"; which returns the PC to original factory specs. I chose to do this due to many different sources of problems...all of which seem to have been resolved by this technique. In the spirit of making a true "fresh start" I'd like to really set things up & sort things out PROPERLY this time around.

My ultimate goal is to fully remove many "pre-installed" software programs AND have a properly sorted out Registry (&, of course, a fully functioning PC ;-). My first step has been to run CCleaner & WinASO Registry Optimizer before I made any changes. I'm amazed to see that WinASO found 132 errors & CCleaner found 43! :whistling:

Unfortunately, it seems that neither program allows printing their report/results. I'd be willing to manually copy the info, but only as a last resort. I've seen some other people's post their Registry Scan info & would like to know how I can do that too. Any ideas?

While I'm waiting for some Uber-Helpful advice I'll keep busy by manually copying the Reg. scan report/results in Notepad & then post it here.

This is all I've been able to get so far:

WinASO Registry Optimizer version 2.6
(trial version only "fixex" 10 items at a time)

The bummer is that this program doesn't tell me how dangerous it is to delete
anything. It only tells me how negatively the error may impact my PC.

Scanning Report
Total scan items: 296239
Total errors found: 132
High risk error count: 12
Count of errors recommended to ignore: 0

5 Add/Remove Programs

0 Browser Helper Objects & Configuration Files

10 Custom Controls

43 Deep Registry Scan

0 Device Drivers

20 File Extensions

0 Help and Resource, & History Lists

6 Invalif ActiveX

42 Invalild Files Path

0 Registry Integrity

1 Shared DLLs

5 Software Locations

0 Sound & AppEvents, Startup Popup Window, Startup Programs,
Windows Services, System Setting Errors, Virtual Devices,
Windows Fonts, Program Shortcuts

DETAILED BREAKDOWN:

(5 Add/Remove Programs)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro Studio\=1
Description: File or path don't exist

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Jasc Software Inc\=1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{403EF592-953B-4794-BCEF-ECAB835C2095}
InstalSource=C:\DELL\j6831
Description: Install source path can't found

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142030}
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\{7148F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0142030}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHING\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CB2F7EDD-9D1F-43C1-90FC-4F52EAE172A1}
InstallSource = C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\

@@@Personal Note@@@
The first 2 entries (RE: Jasc) are from 2 seperate programs Pre-installed on my PC.
I've no idea what the last 3 items are.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
registry cleaners are overrated for a number of reasons...note that winaiso calls these "incorrect" and "obsolete" information not errors

Windows is constantly writing things in the registry--the registry is a big database for windows so it can keep track of software and hardware--removing these install source path settings cannot be found items is not really going to help you

Your 3rd one looks like an uninstall for one of those infamous 3rd party dell apps

4th I think is your windows installer which kicks when you install an msi file

5th is a temperary file created during an install.

Removing such items does not typically hurt (though I've seen a few registry cleaners go spaz and kill a pc), but they do not really help. The registry cleaner companies say they will "Shrink the registry" and make things load faster and with fewer errors, but this is largely overrated since most of these things are not really errors

As for loading faster, consider a couple things....is 1 bit of information going to make a big difference loading? And, here's the little secret they don't like to tell you--removing the obsolete information DOES NOT SHRINK THE REGISTRY.

Like any database, removing a record does not shrink it, it just sets the record to 0....the registry behaves the same way

BY all means, us add/remove to get rid of all the extra stuff Dell loads on your system, but chasing registry phantoms is a waste of your time

ZeldaCubeGamer

ZeldaCubeGamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your quick reply gerryf! I hear what you're saying. What I'm wondering is why using "Add/Remove" to uninstall these 3rd party apps ends up causing the Registry "cleaner/optimizer" scans to then pick up over 400 registry errors.

I'd really like to completely, 100% remove these apps without causing problems with anything in the future.

I also really need to know how to backup (onto CD-R/RW) the Registry (without using Export/Import) along with other things. WinXP Home is a major pain when it comes to this. And, I really don't want to use a downloaded or purchased app/program to do it. Isn't there ANY other way I can?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You can install a brand new, pure OEM copy of Windows straight from Microsoft and it will likely find 120 "errors"

What I am saying is they are not really errors, they are conditions a programmer has decided are errors

Why specifically do you want to back up the registry--what is your goal?

If backing up the registry only is your goal, get ERUNT

http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I should note that the backup is to a folder, and then you would need to back up that folder.

ZeldaCubeGamer

ZeldaCubeGamer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd like to backup the Registry before I make use of any Registry scanning/repairing/optimizing/fixing ends up scewing up my system.

I'd also then (hopefully) learn how to backup anything I wanted.

Do you know of any way I can just post the results of the Reg. scans I've run? Typing/entering this stuff manually is killing me!

Heres some more:

Custom Controls: 10 errors
[first: says this is a "High" cause of severely slowing system performance]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{06DD38D3-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}\InprocServer32
(Default)=C:\WINDOWS\system32\plugin.ocx
Description: ActiveX file can't found

[second: says this is a "High" cause of severely slowing system performance]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{06DD38D3-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}\ToolboxBitmap32
(Default)=C:\WINDOWS\system32\plugin.ocx, 1

[third]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\1.0\HELPDIR
(Default)=
Description: Help directory don't exist

[fourth: "High" risk of severe system slowdown]
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{06DD38D0-D187-11CF-A80D-00C04FD74AD8}\1.0\HELPDIR
(Default)=C:\WINDOWS\system32\plugin.ocx

[Ugh! 5-10 are other "Low" level risks to system slow down.
The only difference between them are the numbers in between { }
They're all described as "Help directory don't exist" (WinASO should really fire
whomever checked their grammar!)

[EDIT: HERE ARE SOME MORE]

20 File Extensions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SysmonLogManager.Snapin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\WMPCD
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\
The above line is repeated with the following endings:
.ra
.ram
.rf
.rjs
.rm
.rmm
.rmp
.rms
.rmx
.rnx
.rp
.rsml
.rt
.rv
.sdp
.smi
.smil
.ssm

All the above 20 are described as "File Extensions error" possibly left behind
after uninstalling software.

6 Invalid ActiveX
They're all listed as "ActiveX can't be found" & it's suggested to delete them all.
The scan says the info may be left over from something being uninstalled.

1 Shared DLLs
HKLM\SOFTARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\DellSupport.EXE
Description: Execute file can't be found
This is listed as "High" cause for system slowdown

5 Software Locations
[first] I deleted this one 'cause I knew I didn't need it.
[second]
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrenVersion\AppPaths\C:\ModemPerformanceMonitor
\ModenEventMonitor\Release\ModemEventMonitor.exe
(Default)= C:\ProgramFiles\Intel\ModemEventMonitor\C:\ModemPerformanceMonitor
\ModemEventMonitor\Release\ModemEventMonitor.exe

[third: ???what is "cmmgr32 &/or CMMGR32? I see that part listed in 3 or 4 different locations]
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\cmmgr32.exe
(Default) = C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmmgr32.exe
Description: Execute file can't found

[fourth]
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppPaths\ORUN32.EXE
(Default) = C:\WINDOWS\ORUN32.EXE
Description: Execute file can't found

[fifth]
HKLM\Sofware\NetworkAssociates
(Default) =
Description: File Extensions error

Edited by ZeldaCubeGamer, 05 June 2006 - 10:23 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You're not following me

If you want to backup your registry to some cd, run erunt, set the backup folder, and copy the folder to a cd...

The various errors you are seeing are inconsequential and are the normal result of a normal computer, ActiveX alerts like this are very common, since you visit a webpage, use an activex componant, leave the webpage and then eventually the active x object is purged from your internet cache if you do not use it again.

cmmgr32.exe is hte microsoft connection manager for windows 2000--you have windows xp. You do not have this file because you do not need it. THe program is pointing to an error that does not exist.

Relax, enjoy the rest of you computing day. Registry scanning utilities are vastly overrated in a modern OS