Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

slooowwww help

• Please log in to reply

timmush

timmush

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If someone can fix this, you will be KING (or Queen)

ok, here goes...
for almost the last month my internet loading of some pages has been super slow. I have a cable modem. I have done a ton of things which I will list so I was wondering, how I get my internet to run as it did before. Thanks.
I have:
checked for spyware, adware, malware, viruses,trojans etc. and have found nothing.
I have cleared browser, cache, cookies, temp folders, etc.
I have done defrag and disc clean-up.
I have done a hijackthis file and have found by others to be clean.
I have installed zone alarm and scanned, mcafee and scanned, done an apropofix, ccleaner ,registryfix, spybot, windowsdefender, kapersky, avg, and a couple of others I cant recall and found nothing.
IT IS NOT SPYWARE or a Virus, I am convinced. It almost seems like its a memory issue but I have 72% of disc space left.
Can you suggest anything I can do to get my computers internet working so it loads pages at a consistant speed. Some pages take over a minute, then I click out, restart internet explorer and click on the same page and it starts right up again. I have tried firefox and netscape and it is still slow. HELP!

Edited by timmush, 05 June 2006 - 08:10 PM.

Advertisements

timmush

timmush

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my speeds seem fine, it is the weirdest thing, here is the prblem.
some pages dont load or take a minute+, the same page if i click back and try the link again loads in .2seconds.

Rabbitic

Rabbitic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

some pages dont load or take a minute+, the same page if i click back and try the link again loads in .2seconds.

This is normal. The computer, while loading a page, caches its information so that when you return to it, it has to do nothing more complicated than get the information it stored on your computer. This is why it's much easier to reload a page than to load it the first time. (it's an optimization protocol standard to most browsers)

I'd suggest the following:
1. Open a command prompt
2. Ipconfig /renew (occasionally clears minor problems up)

As for why your connection itself is slow:

1. Are you using some form of bitTorrent? That slows down speeds like crazy.
1b. Call your ISP. Ask them if they can help you.
2. Call your ISP. Ask where their hub in the area is.
2b. If it's close, something's probably wrong with your router.
2c. So check out your router, restart it, if that doesn't work, get a new one.
3. If they can't fix it, change ISPs to one that has a closer hub
3b. It may also be that lots of people near you use the same ISP - if, during different times of the day, initial load time for a page differs in speed, (not cached load time), it may be because too many people in your are are using the same hub.
4. If that doesn't fix it, I have no idea :whistling:

drsjr1

drsjr1

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm having the same problem and I have looked at a number of posts that indicate that a lot of people are having the same problem. I have run every anti-spyware, anti-trojan, registry cleaner, etc. out there and none of them are catching whatever it is. If you have any luck figuring out what the problem is let us know. Thanks