Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help----Just want to burn a DVD-R!

• Please log in to reply

onej

onej

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:blink: Please advise. I have a brand new computer with a DVD burner on it. It has various connectivity (serial ports, a couple other ports with icons and shapes I can describe in any detail necessary) but no RCA cable (Red, White, Yellow) ports.

I want to copy some old VHS tapes to DVD. I also want to copy a few DVDs to DVD. I have a VCR with RCA cable outputs. I have a Playstation II that plays DVDs and is currently connected to the VCR using RCA cables. I also recently bought a separate DVD burner, that seems to be connectable with RCA cables as well.

Can the computer be used somehow? Do I need to look for a cable that is one end serial and one end RCA or something (if that's even possible)? How am I supposed to be able to burn DVDs on this computer when it has no RCA ports? The computer is a Dell inspiron 9300, the "media center" version.

I am a reasonably gifted guy in most things, but this stuff never fails to piss me off so completely :) that I lose all capacity to think :help: , this fueling even more frustration. :whistling:

Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need a video in card or TV card in order to capture video if your video card doesnt do it(dell probably integrated so porbaly no Video in).

But your going to need a vid card with vid in and an RCA to probably svideo adapter or a TV card that does RCA or one that does composite or svideo and an adpater.

Also remember that copying VHS to DVD if its a recording is legal but its not if its a bought tape and DVD to DVD is illegal in the US and some other countries because while you have the right to copy your DVDs and other media for your own use and backups you arent allowed to bypass the copyprotection stopping you doing this.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I read that the Dell inspiron 9300 *
In Review on 9300
You can manage all your home videos or record your TV content using MCE 2005. Our only gripe is that the tuner is external (it connects via USB) and is a $149 option.Just check if Tuner can capture video