Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Turn On!

• Please log in to reply

Michelle06

Michelle06

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

About a month ago I was trying to connect to my dial-up internet. A message displayed on my computer saying that the modem was not correctly put in. So, I switched the computer off and took it out then put it back in again. The same message appeared when I tried to dial-up and I did the process twice over. The last time that I tried to put the card back into its slot my hand slipped and knocked the power box. It wasn't very hard but it was significant enough to stop the computer from turning on again and it just won't at all, no matter what I do. The computer is from Dell, standing tower and is very compact with everything built into the monitor, such as the graphics card. I've had two people (relatives with background computer knowledge) look at it and think that it might've been the graphics cards which is built in. So, they got an S3trio and tested it in one of the other 'port' 'slot' things which did not work. Another thought they had was that it could be the harddrive, but they think its unlikely. I know it's hard to try and fix the problem without being able to examine or see it, but is there anyone with some ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Michelle.

Advertisements

Michelle06

Michelle06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I think I've put this in the wrong section, could someone please move it? :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Michelle06...

What happens when you power on the machine? Do the fans spin up? How about the lights on the front panel...do they light up? Do you hear a "beep" during startup?

wannabe1

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Michelle
Some time when I work on my machines they wont boot, normally its due to the following.

Build up of static in the power box or in the switch on the front, a remedy is to unplug the cables from the wall, then make sure all other connections are unplugged etc, then rapidly press the on/off button about 10-15 times. Plug everything back in and try again to start it.

If that doesnt cure it, you may have knocked a power socket in the machine from the powere bow to the motherboard, worth checking that it is seated right, its the long multi coloured plug that comes from the power box, dont be afraid of it as it only carries 12V max along those wires.

Other than that you may have spiked it with static when being inside, a build up of static either blocks certain electronics from operating or kills them, did you earth youself while fiddling with the modem before by touching the chassis of the computer.

Other possibilities are, you may have knocked a board jumper from the motherboard, possible but unlikely.

Computers only need a few basic parts to run, a power supply, motherboard, processor, memory and a screen to view it on.

But failing that you may have a dead power supply, hard to fully check online.