Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP SP2 brought me more problems

• Please log in to reply

Raito

Raito

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just upgraded my Windows XP to service pack 2, during the upgrade there was an error regarding the AGP driver somehow it ended up missing, although I'm very certain it was complete and working perfectly when my PC was running in WINXP-SP1.

When the installation was complete my graphics card and all VIA chipset related stuff had no drivers, I was forced to download the driver files from ASROCK's support site. I was also able to find the driver for my graphics card in one of my hard disks. After completing the reinstallation of the drivers I tested the direct draw and direct 3d and came out just fine.

Then I played a game to check if it was working fine, it did but just for a few minutes and then it happened... the blue screen, I restarted my PC and then my screen goes crazy It was as if the "pincushion" option in my Monitors' setting was put to the max as well as the horizontal size, changing the settings on the monitor didnt help, uninstalling and reinstalling th drivers didnt help either. Should I format and reinstall the hard disk patition for my OS?

*I included info from the dxdiagnostics tool in case it's needed

Attached Files

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will remove SP2, when you run Microsoft Update decline SP2 but check you have all the others, including any optional ones which are applicable

SP2 shouldn't cause problems though, so you could check you have the latest drivers for everything and then try SP2

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Raito

Raito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Aww the reply came too late, my friend who knows his way around PC's than I do suggested that I reformat and reinstall windows XP SP2, which I already did.

But the problem remained, I tried removing the AGP graphics card and got it to work using the on board graphics card and I still see the problem.

I even started my PC with Linux-Ubuntu but the problem persisted.

I suspect it's a hardware problem, specifically the monitor. I'm thinking of trying a different monitor tomorrow