Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

building a computer...

• Please log in to reply

mexoo

mexoo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm trying to decide what parts to use. here's what I think I have decided on.

for the mother board, the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

CPU: an AMD 64 4000

dvd drive: a BenQ DW1655

ram: 1 gb, maybe more of PC 2700/3200 DDR. What does dual channel mean?

hard drive: I already have a 120 GB seagate ultra ATA/100

power supply: master power 350 watt, should it be higher?

I'm not sure what video card I should get. I don't want to spend more than 250 on one, and should I get pci express or agp.

some other questions, when talking about AMD 64 CPU's, what does clawhammer and san diego mean? should I go with one or the other?

and should I get another fan?

If I get two ram sticks, do they have to be the same size?

any help on this would be great, thanks

Edited by mexoo, 06 June 2006 - 01:00 AM.

Advertisements

whity26

whity26

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
pci express is the new slots that m/b come with, so it looks like you will need to go with that. 550 watt power supply would be the best, but no less then a 400 watt. Dual channel ram is just what the m/b has, you may need to check the specs of the m/b to see if it has it, normally its 4 slots where ram can go and you just put it in certain slots to make it dual channel. also best to get 2 even amount of ram, not a 256 and 128 best to be either 256 & 256 or 512 & 512.

thats what i can help you with, some others may want to help further

Edited by whity26, 06 June 2006 - 05:55 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing is your processor is already decided since the Asus A8N deluxe MB is a socket 939 mb. The clawhammer processors are socket 754 so San Diego it will be. The motherboard is also dual processor capable so you could get a X2 processor. Oh, by the way the clawhammer is on 130nm transistor core size and the san diege is on 90nm transistor core size. Smaller is better here because it means more transistors can be cramed in the same space.

Heres a power supply calculator so you can figure out how big a supply you need. Remember to multiply the Ps's rated power by 70% to get its true power rate.

http://www.extreme.o...ucalculator.jsp

Another good read on Power Supplies is this one.

http://jonnyguru.blogspot.com/

Anymore any good video card that is PCI-e will do, maybe a ATi X800, or a Nvidia 6800 series will do just fine.

Cooling is really up to you and the design of the case. I've seen single fan cases that cool better than dual or triple fan cases. I now look for cases that can take 120MM fans since i can run the bigger fan slower for the same amount of air going thru the case. Slower running fans are quieter and i like quiet computers.

Yes get the same size sticks of ram. heres a good article on dual channel memory.

http://www.devhardwa...y/Dual-Channel/

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 06 June 2006 - 03:15 PM.

mexoo

mexoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok. thanks for the replys.

would i gain much of an advantage if I went with a ddr2 motherboard and ddr2 ram?

sounds like I should get a dual channel pack of ram

if I get another fan, where would it go?

and does a heatsink come with the cpu?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
My Intel 3.0 with a foxconn Mb(intel 925 chipset) and 1 gig of kingston DDR-400 ram is faster than my Intel cedar mills 3.0 with a gigabyte mb( intel 945 chipset) and 1 gig of OCZ DDR-667 ram. I think this is because the ddr400 ram is CL2 and the ddr2 ram is CL4. The speed difference is very slight but i do notice it sometimes. I see no great advantage of DDR2 except it is newer so it won't be obsolete very soon. DDR memory is only a couple of years on the market so you can expect that DDR2 will only last that long also. The memory makers already have DDR3 in the works.

If you are buying the processor retail it comes with a fan. OEM processors do not come with a fan usually.

When you already have a case fan at the back of the computer the usual place to put a second fan is in the front bottom of the case. Most mb's have a place to install a 80 mm fan there.

SRX660

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
But it all depends on the RAM maker. Notice that Ultra and unbranded will perfrom worse than most DDR2, yet Corsair and OCZ can hang up with them.

mexoo

mexoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
looking at cases, what is a midtower case?. I'm thinking of finding a used parts store for the case and/or power supply. I could care less what my case looks like, as long as it's decent.

I would also like a spot for two usb ports in the front, is this rare? I haven't seen any yet

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Full tower cases used to have 4 cdrom slots and were very tall( like 24 to 36 inches) and usually 2 floppy drive slots while the mid tower cases had 3 cdrom slots and 1 or 2 floppy slots. Almost all towers built now are mid's. Some mid towers have only 2 cdrom slots and 1 floppy slot nowadays.

Almost all the newer cases have front USB ports. The only thing i don't like about them is that they always put them at the bottom of the case. I now custom make my own front USB ports in a floppy drive slot. Much nicer to have them within easy reach without scrabbling around the bottom of the case trying to plug a camera in.

If a case does not have front USB you can always buy one of these.

http://www.tigerdire...asp?EdpNo=29628

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817801001

SRX660

mexoo

mexoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, thank you for all your help. ANother question I thought AMD had broken the 3 ghz mark. I'm guessing that, in general, a pentium chip at 3.5 ghz. is no better or worse than an AMD chip at say, 2.3ghz because of other factors that determine how fast a chip really is. IS this true?

I want this computer to be able to run The Elder scrolls 4: Oblivian well, and I'm just trying to gather as much info about anything I can. Again, I appreciate your help

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not many systems will run oblivion well its pretty badly coded game when it comes down to it, i wouldnt get to excited about it its allright while youve got stuff to do but its surprisingly short as a game.

AMD have broken the 3Ghz barrier they actually did it a while ago alot of there cpus can do over 3ghz fairly easily, however the more efficeint nature of AMD of late means they stay below 3ghz as it has heat benefits and power consumption benefits, generally they are trying to reduce the clockspeed, 3Ghz or round about is becoming the ideal max, intel are going this way as well there new chips are in the AMD range now with lower clocks but making better use of the clocks it has.

DDR2 is going to be cheaper than DDR and there isnt a huge difference in using it but there is some, you also get new chips available in the DDR2 AM2 mobos the cpus are generally the same but manuafacturing is better as its 65nm and there are a few minor upgrades but there is also the new motherboards nforce4 is still good but the new nforce 5 is really good as well, price difference at least here is only a tiny bit more or the same as 939 because mobos are the same but DDR2 ram being cheaper you save some.

Case wise get that where you want try and get one thats 120mm and half decent build quality, PSU you need to get something quality as they have the potential to turn a balzing fast gaming pc into scrap, the little extra for a quality psu makes all the difference.

Also if you wait until July the DX10gfx cards and core 2 duo cpus will be released as well, core 2s are faster than amds chips right now and prices should be good, dx10 is a big improvement over 9.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 June 2006 - 05:07 AM.

mexoo

mexoo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank you for the reply. I don't want to spend more than $250 on the video card. Are the directx 10 cards going to be new unreleased models or current ones with updated firmware?

decker2

decker2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Checkout www.gamegiants.net for CPU motherbards and such. They also sell arctic silver 5 and arcticlean for only $3.99 each!!!!!