Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer stays on log on screen

• Please log in to reply

parlayit

parlayit

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
not sure how it happened, last time I used my computer it was fine... i turned it on and it got to the logon screen with a really small resolution (640x800) maybe... didn't give me the option to log in... restarted... this time, it showed up with my regular desktop resolution (1280x1024) i think... and it just kept "LOADING"... no log in option at all.... normally my login screen is at 1024x768.... dunno of all this resolution info is useless or useful... either way, i can't log into my computer

not sure what to do... please help... thank you! :whistling:

Edited by parlayit, 06 June 2006 - 09:01 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you log in in safe mode?
(press f8 while the machine is counting up memory)

if so

Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
tried logging into safe mode.... no luck... same thing happens.... stays on login screen with no option to log in....

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
the second you push the on button on your tower start tapping the f8 immediately safe options should appear or windows start-up options

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
lol... sorry for the misunderstanding.... what i meant was that i got it to try to bootup in safe mode, but the same thing happens... stays on the log in screen with no option to log in..... :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Step 1

If you have a windows xp cd, start the computer and boot with it and choose recovery console.

Then follow the instructions beginning at STEP 2

If you do not have a Windows XP CD, do the following

download RC.iso from the following link:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

You need to burn this image to a CD and boot your computer with it--this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download the following program to another Windows XP machine, install it.

make certain you download the proper installation for your version of windows. Open MY COMPUTER, choose HELP > ABOUT. Note the service pack and get the appropriate version of the iso burner power toy

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

After installation, reboot, then right click the RC.iso file you downloaded above and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD.

Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

This will give you a recovery console to use to run

Insert the cd into the non-functioning PC

STEP 2

When boot begins, a windows setup will appear to start, but you will be taken to a recovery console.

You will need to select your windows installation by pressing a number, most likely 1

Windows will ask you for a password

If you have XP home, press enter...there is no password

If you have XP Pro, you need to enter the password you set when you installed your machine with XP Pro.

After entering the password, you will find yourself at a command prompt that looks like this

c:\windows

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

follow the prompts, then when it is complete, remove the CD

type

EXIT

<enter>

the machine will reboot

Did that fix it?

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
still no dice.... ran it... rebooted... same issue

is it necessary to scan my other hard drive? is it even an issue...?? i mainly use it just to store files....

anyway... now what?!?!?! :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
can you say where it stops?

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
noticed something else... the num lock light on my keyboard stays on even when my computer is off... kind of strange...

and another quick question.... if i have two hard drives.... (C: and F:), if i do a clean install... will it leave data in my F drive alone given that the original XP was installed on the C Drive...?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
To your second question--yes, data on F will be left alone as long as you tell windows setup to leave it as is.

Can you answer my last question? What are you looking at (what screen) when it hangs...describe it

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
usually when you boot, you have the black DOS background... then you've got a big XP logo with a black background.... it then moves to the blue background with a smaller XP logo... then the ID's pop up giving you the option to log in...

it's stops when there's a blue background with a small XP logo and stays there....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
follow these instructions....

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

parlayit

parlayit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
GERRYF!! YOU ARE THE MAN OR THE WOMAN... WHATEVER! :blink:

Thanks for your help... it's back up and running.... i appreciate your time....

Any ideas what could have caused this? A virus? :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
file corruption, possible a hklm registry hive

Sometimes, this can happen suddenly, for example if you shut off your computer by pulling the power plug, and sometimes it happens over time.

You should run chkdsk /f at least monthly just to keep the file sytem healthy