Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe password not correct

• Please log in to reply

smksd845

smksd845

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had just added a password to my user account this past weekend and was rewarded with this nasty error.

Before the logon page I get:

System error: lsass.exe

When trying to update a password a return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

As with others, the machine reboots continuously after this happens with no interaction. I am unable to get into any safe mode and a repair (not the first one) does nothing. It has been well documented that it is not related to sasser, although I'm having trouble finding a definitive fix. In addition, there seems to be a contstant argument over whether or not is can be fixed without a wiping the drive, but no conclusion.

Gerry, I noticed you have worked with this mess in the past, but I haven't found many posts that are within the past few months. I pasted some quotes from a thread that seemed to match my problem. I looked into recovery instructions and noticed a comment about OEM installs. I built my own machine an purchased oem windows with it (can't beat the price). Will this create the problem those instructions were referring to?

Hi, I have a problem with my wife's laptop. When trying to boot normally I get this message: ""System error: Lsass.exe

"When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct."

...and then my machine restarts and tries again, and again. etc.

I do have a boot disk cd. But when I select the "R" option to get to the recovery console it asks for the password. We had no password, when we click enter without a password it tells us incorrect password. It gives us 3 attempts then we have to go back to windows and the same problem. Is there a password we can use to get in? If we try in safe mode the same thing happens as a normal boot. Is there some kind of anti virus boot disk that we can use to get rid of the "Worm" preferably that doesn't use the floppy as the laptop does't have one.

Kushty

I think I misread your first post.....this error is occuring before you reach a log-in screen.

Ughh... got to do some digging....I hate this error

this is not a worm issue...the worm creates reboots.

If I understand this correctly, you are getting this error before you even get to a logon screen?

This indicates a corrupt registry. You need your Windows XP cd, and you need to load into the recovery console to recover earlier registry snapshots.

Take a look here and see if you can follow along

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
specificaly, the OEM warning in the MS KB article means you should not attempt this if you have a PC with a pre-installed Window, because companies like Dell, HP, etc have a very specific installation that is different from the one you got with an OEM disk

For example, these OEM Install (dell, HP, etc) are often pre-activated.

You can attempt the installation outlined in that article, but as noted there and in my own threads, it seems about 50-50 on success.

I actually have more luck dropping the drive in a second PC and doing all that work, most likely because of the problems associated with typing all that stuff correctly

smksd845

smksd845

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerry,

I've seen that too. Can you confirm two things on that for me? First, last time I did that I remember having to format/fdisk the drive in order for the o/s (pre XP) to recognize it, which obviously wipes it.

Second, the drive is a serial WD, which is the first one I bought and only MB I have. It does go both ways, so can I add that as a slave to one of my IDE machines?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
1) Last time you did what?

2) You can not add it as a slave to an ide controller, but you can add it in another computer with a sata controller

smksd845

smksd845

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Gerry,

Last time referred to when I added a second drive to a machine (back in the day).

I was obviously mistaken about my drive as it is the power that can be connected two different ways.

Since I do not own another serial HD capable MB, would I be right it being able to get another serial drive, install XP, and then add my old drive (Bad XP) to it in order to get my files off?