Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble with XP Upgrade fundtion

• Please log in to reply

rtullier

rtullier

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Computer:
DELL Dimension 4600, Janunary 2004
Windows XP Pro

History:
Almost exactly a year ago, I had an infection which I was able to clean with this site's help (Thanks again). After that I installed a few problem prevention tools:
DiamondCS; Process Guard & TDS3
Ghost Security; RegDefend

Everything worked great until about a week ago when I started seeing pop-ups to check my system for a possible virus. I went back to this site and followed the procedure at the following link: Start Here

I uninstalled all the tools from before and removed them from the system. After a few bumps, the computer was working fine again after running the XP install "Upgrade" option. I began reloading new versions of the tools and everything seemed good until I loaded "RegistryProt" RegistryProt. Once loaded it warned of several programs/services attempting to change/add to the registry. I chose block to many of these unti lit seemed odd that so many were appearing. I powerred off (maybe a big mistake) and when the computer booted back up, things were not working properly at all!

I uninstalled everything again and ran the Windows XP install again, using the "Upgrade" option. No help! Now when I boot;
Once I type my password, it stalls for an extended period during which I hear a warning beep
Once it starts XP I get several error windows saying there was a problem installing several files to;
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado
msadrh15.dll
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc
msadcf.dll
msadco.dll
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB
oledb32.dll
msdasql.dll
msdaosp.dll
msdaora.dll
msdaosp.dll
I click "Ok" on all of these and I get to the Desktop
I attempt to load Explorer, it stalls again and when Explorer appears I get the flashlight and it can't find the hard drive. If I kill this and run Explorer from "Start/Run" it finds the hard drive but not flash memory attached via USB.

I have tried the install a few more times with the same results.

What's the next step??

Thanks for your help,
rtullier

Edited by rtullier, 06 June 2006 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Computer:
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc
c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB
rtullier

do these folders exiat

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes, and they have several files in them.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
man, cannot type today

I want you to download this:

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Run it, then reboot...does the problem persist?

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
gerryf,

I edited the inital post with the file names of the files that did not load during the install.

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
With regard to your last post,

I am at my office now. At home, I can not access the internet due to the trouble. I will download the file you indicated and bring it home on a CD to run.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok

rtullier

rtullier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I downloaded and ran the file you suggested; it did not solve the problem. However, I also downloaded all the tools mentioned in the "Start Here" link on this site and once I ran AdAware (which removed "Alexa"), things started working again.

Thanks for your help,

rtullier