Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Install Freezes

• Please log in to reply

Daedalus

Daedalus

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey all

My friend got a computer that was preinstalled with Windows Home Edition, now he bought the Pro Edition, but it
won't install, it always freezes after the textmode setup has rebooted (at the windows loading screen). The moving green bar freezes at the exactly same spot over and over again.
We have also tried some other Xp's (some modified with nLite) and it freezes at the exact same spot again.
Only the original Home version install without problems. Once at the install-reboot with the Pro version, we inserted a Win98 cd, setup then kept searching the cd for while before freezing....
Seems like there is something on the CD that setup detects as "not factory installed" and just decides to freeze... There are no options in BIOS that suggests it can be turned off.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Daedalus...

At what point, exactly, is the installation hanging? Is there a minute mark associated with it...perhaps about the 34 minute mark?

wannabe1

Daedalus

Daedalus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Its freezing at the loading screen, when the green bar reaches the right side and two of the three "thingies" are visible. It's not time related.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have any USB devices connected?

Daedalus

Daedalus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah, actually a USB printer is connected. I never tried disconnecting it... *Guest smacks himself :whistling:
But why would the install freeze because of that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A lot of newer machines are able to boot from USB. The USB controllers don't know the device is a printer until the drivers load so it tries to boot from that port...this will hang the startup on a new install. Unhook the printer and see if that's the problem here.

Daedalus

Daedalus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, I'll try that, be back in a day to post what happened.
Thanks for the help :whistling:

Daedalus

Daedalus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alrighty then, sorry that it took so long to reply.

I tried again with no USBs connected, I even disconnected all microphones, speakers and net cables.
But it still freezes... :whistling: