Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 2?

• Please log in to reply

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i recently reformatted my computer and everything went fine :whistling:

i then starting installing updates (automatically) then it said my windows xp was out of date so therefore i started updating it with windows service pack 2. (i downloaded it automatically off their website)

once installed it said that i had to restart my pc and this error came up.

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\drivers\pci.sys

you can attempt to repair thjis file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM

select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

i then tryed this and i dont know my administratory code which i do not know so i just reformatted my computer but have not yet installed SP2.

this is because i dont know how to get my administrator code so i do not want to install SP2 and then have to reformat my computer again.

Can anyone help?

Thanks Iain

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you didn't set an administrator password when you installed, you leave the password box empty and press enter

The administrator account usually appears when you are using safe mode

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i did not type any administrator in what i can remember.

is there anywhere i can install SP2 which will not have corrupt files? i was supprised at this as it was off the microsoft website

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you use the default NTFS format, not quick

Have you installed other programmes yet?

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i reformatted it the slow way.

yes i have installed other programs before as i need to get my computer up and running as soon as posible as its essential for my work.

i havent yet installed SP2 yet as i dont want to have to reformat my computer again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would be unlucky to get a corrupt install twice, though, if you format in the future, loading XP, Office if you use it, the firewall, the anti virus, the network connection, updating the firewall and anti virus, running a scan then going to Microsoft Update is probably a good way of ensuring other software does not get in the way

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
when i installed SP2 i only had anti-virus (AVG) ad-aware SE and Microsoft Office

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could install Microsoft Updates, decline SP2, install the others including applicable optionals then look at SP2

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
i installed other microsoft updates before SP2 and that didnt work

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There should be updates either side of SP2

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I think it would be pretty safe to say that you are not getting a corrupt download of SP2 multiple times from Microsoft. It would be more likely that there is a problem with your hard drive or your hard drive controller card.

Boot from your original Windows CD and press r to enter the recovery console. Once there, type "chkdsk /p" (note the space and do not include the quotes). This will run a quick scan of your hard drive and tell you if there are any problems. It does not fix them, just scans.

If it comes back with "One or more errors on volume" then you need to type in this command "chkdsk /r" (again, note the space and drop the quotes). This will scan and fix, but it takes a LONG time.

When that one is done, I always like to rune another chkdsk /p to make certain that all of the problems have been corrected. If they have not, then your hard drive is most likely bad and will need to be replaced.

IAIN -Y-

IAIN -Y-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
this after the administrator password part?