Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Wireless connection after re-installing XP

• Please log in to reply

dystantme

dystantme

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm eternally grateful, once again, for the help that Geekstogo have given me. I was able to get my computer working again, after changing the boot order, then reloading/repairing XP.

Now... I cannot connect to the internet. Here are the details:

I have a security enabled wireless network in my home. The other computer on the network is connecting just fine. After fixing XP last night, my computer shows that it recognizes the network, but says "...limited or no network connection.." after I try to repair the connection.

I read a few topics here already thinking I could figure it out without bothering anyone, and have tried both "starting and putting on automatic" the zero thing in "services", but that was already as it should have been, and didn't do anything. I also downloaded the "winsockxp" fix, and it repaired the registry, and rebooted, but still I cannot connect.

When I compare my working computer next to the non-working one, I can see that there are missing entries in the network connection details: The non-working computer is missing: default gateway numbers, DHCP Server numbers, and DNS Server numbers. Also, no matter what I do, my Wireless Connections tab is still missing... and instead there is an AUTHENTICATION TAB. Also, I cannot find where to log into my network, as I thought that might be why I can't access it...

ADDING INFO ON EDIT: I think my problem is somehow linked to the fact that my network properties are showing that I have an "Automatic Private Address", because the DHCP is not detecting my IP address at all.

Can you help?? I know that the networking forum is not as exciting as viruses, but I'm hoping for a reply soon. I know it has to be just one little setting that's missing... or something so obvious. This is making me crazy! :whistling:

Thank you so much...
Diana

Edited by dystantme, 06 June 2006 - 02:16 PM.

Advertisements