Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nothing displays on monitor

• Please log in to reply

Grevin

Grevin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am working on a PC for my friend, just going in and cleaning it up. I had him bring me just the PC tower and I hooked my monitor to it. Everything was fine, well except that the PC needed to be cleaned up. I had to reboot the PC and that's when I ran into problems. The PC starts up, I can see the hard drive working at boot up and I can open the CD rom and DVD rom drives, however I do not get anything on the monitor. I know the monitor works because I get the message from the monitor saying that the self test was was succesful but that I should check the connection to the PC. So I thought maybe for some reason I need the original monitor. So I got his and hooked it up and I get the same message. It's like the PC boots up but fails when it trys to hook to the monitor. I tried booting to the installation CD to see if I could maybe run repair, but I still get nothing on the screen. Does anyone have any ideas or have this happen to them?

Advertisements

suckaf00

suckaf00

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
might be the video card..

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi'

Does the light on the monitor turn green or stay amber?

Are you getting a post ( writing or logo on screen when you power on)?

You mentioned " going in and cleaning it up" could you have disturbed the video card in any way, try reseating it.

If none of these and you have a case speaker then take out the video card and power up, does it beep?

Rick

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
That happened to me mate but for me my MOTHERBOARD went and took about 2 weeks to come back probably could be your motherboard hope this helps

Grevin

Grevin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Well when I turn it on I can see the light for the hard drive running and you can hear it running and chugging along, then the light does turn green like it should be up and running. I never get even a flicker on the screen, no logo nothing. I do get the message from the monitor itself saying the self check is OK but it is not getting a signal from the PC. I checked all the pins on the conection as well to make sure nothing was damaged there.
As far as cleaning it up I never actually got to the point to remove any programs. The PC was already runing very slow so I rebooted it and this happened. Do you think I coul dmaybe try a different video card from a different PC of mine..just to test that?

Grevin

Grevin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I took the suggestions and gave it a try. I was mistaken, it does not go to a green light, it stays at red. Also opened it up to try reseating the card and it does not have a video card, it is part of the motherboard. Any other suggestions or ideas that I may want to try? Thanks again!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry so late getting back,

Yes do try a video card if you have one but look first to see if it has a apg slot if not try a pci card.

Post back your results I will try and not be so late getting back

Rick