Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

reformatting

• Please log in to reply

adambcohen

adambcohen

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am getting ready to reformat a drive and I realize that my keyboard and mouse are not serial. They are usb and with that is there a way to make them work on a reformat of a new install. The answer is most likely no, but I figured I would take a shot.
Thanks
Adam Cohen

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Looking at the options, it may install if the keyboard has signed drivers

http://support.micro...kb/827052/en-us

If not it would probably be easier to borrow a keyboard and mouse

http://support.micro....com/kb/314479/

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
You can try Digital Dolly. It is a stand alone disk utility that has USB support. It is also freeware.

Doktor_Ivan

Doktor_Ivan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I would have to go with yes. Depending on the age of your motherboard ofcourse. A good way to find out is to go into bios and see if there is an option that sounds like enable usb keyboard support. I have seen in on several, I do not remember on which menu it is.

BUT, if you are able to load into bios and use keyboard, there are not drivers loaded. The mobo system is doing the work. If your are loading Winxp, dont even worry about it. Older systems, there is small chance for issues.

adambcohen

adambcohen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you so much for the info.. I now will have to take the time and read over everything. I can not thank you enough for all of your help.
Adam Cohen