Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my xp was reinstalled and is not genuine

• Please log in to reply

triggs

triggs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was away for the weekend and the kid who was housesitting got caught up in a bad spyware/malware/virus situation, panicked and called a friend, they reloaded a copy of windows because XP wouldn´t boot and now I am flagged as not genuine by microsoft and cant get updates and they have their purchase real thing plus popup warnings. I can´t reinstall my genuine CD because it is older and says I can lose data. It won't even give me an option to continue.
Plus I am in Peru with a spanish copy of XP, don´t think it makes any difference.
This is XP Professional SP 2 but my CD is XP Professional.
I used to be registered as genuine.

Help!!!!

triggs

Edited by triggs, 06 June 2006 - 06:17 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Run a repair install using your CD and your cd key

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

You will not lose any data

This assumes you a) have a real xp cd (not a recovery disk from a PC Maker) b) your cd has not been altered. Some OEM cds are "windows" cds but they do can be altered by the OEM

So, what kind of cd do you have> Does it have a hologram on the front?

triggs

triggs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hmm. It says Microsoft campus agreement Opción de estudiante but does not have a hologram. I purchased the computer and had XP installed on it from the vendor. It came with this whole batch of software, Office, etc. in a little wallet that says Microsoft en la educación. OK to try?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a student version...that should be equivalent of a oem or retail

Yes, I would try it. Drop it in your PC and see if it has an i386 folder in it, if so, go for it