Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Restart Problem

• Please log in to reply

ElectricalMan

ElectricalMan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey Guys,

I am not sure what happned as I have a HP 5170 Pavillion laptop that has XP Home SP 2 on it and all of a sudden when I do the following:

START/ TURN OFF COMPUTER then select RESTART the computer will shut down as normal and say it is logging off......then it just will never RESTART itself.

I end up having to PRESS and hold the button to restart the computer.

I did not actually do anything to cause it....all I can assume is the Automatic Updates from Microsoft did not set to well with it...but it has never done this before.

Does anyone know why the computer wont restart itself when I choose that option.....I noticed it now does it on any problem that needs to shut down and restart....very strange.

Hope someone has some ideas......and Thank you in Advance.

Paul

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

ElectricalMan

ElectricalMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith,

Thank you. I think I have a problem with the XP CD as my computer is a few years old and it came pre-installed on the computer so I am not even sure if I have the original CD's any longer.

I will look and see if I can find them.

Doing this with the CD's wont remove any files...correct?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try it without sfc /scannow, windows would take a while to restart if it is looking for bits of programmes which no longer apply

Providing you use an XP CD, which you can borrow, to run sfc /scannow then it will only replace missing system files

ElectricalMan

ElectricalMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Keith,

I think I have a "SET" of the CD's that came with the laptop but I don't recall them saying XP on them as I think HP bundles it all. However, I do have a brother that has the XP HOME upgrade CD when they upgraded from 98 SE....will that work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this, the upgrade CD is unlikely to work, if you run sfc /scannow without a CD it wil ask for one and should say which one, if you insert the wrong one it will say so, if you click skip it will ask you to confirm then continue, if it asks more than a few times, click cancel, then you would know there are system files missing

Hopefully this will help

Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor