Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up router...

• Please log in to reply

Namine

Namine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Is there any way to set up a wireless router on Windows 98 to use the internet on a Windows XP computer? I realise an easy option would be to use the XP computer as a main internet source but due to circumstances this is not possible.
Thank you in advance for any help!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Once the router is setup, whether in 9x or XP, any computer you add on should be reconized by the router as long as you have DHCP enabled. DHCP enabled is the default setting for routers. Use the New Connection Wizard in Start> Programs> Accessiores> Communication to setup the XP computer once 98 is up and running.
The easy way to setup your router is to use a ethernet cable and attach it to one of the four wired ports on the router. Run the setup disk that came with your router.
To add a wifi computer read the instruction on how to enter the WEP key that accompanies the wifi card with the computer. Each router is a little different but it should be as simple as enabling the WEP on the router and typing in the WEP key. This will limit others in range of your wifi from accessing your LAN.
If you need more help please provide you router's model number and the model number of your wifi cards. Do not publish you WEP keys. We will not need them.

Namine

Namine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm having difficulty setting up the router. The disk I recieved with the hardware looks as though it should have setup sftware but only has 2 PDF files which are the manual, and outline installation instructions for Windows XP

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Then let's that the easy way first.
Unplug your modem and router. Also turn off your computers. Wait one minute and plug your modem in. Wait another minute and plug the router in. after a minute you can turn your computers on. This will clear an reassign the WAN IP to the router and the LAN IP addresses to the computers.
Now you can run the Connection Wizard either from IE> Tools> Internet Option> Connections> Setup or Start> Programs> Accessories> Communications> New Network Connection.

Edited by acklan, 07 June 2006 - 09:26 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Namine...could you describe your physical setup for us? and what kind of internet connection do you have? (aklan you may be getting a little bit ahead of the poster here...let's start from scratch)

Namine

Namine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Namine...could you describe your physical setup for us? and what kind of internet connection do you have? (aklan you may be getting a little bit ahead of the poster here...let's start from scratch)

This is probably a really stupid question, but what do you mean by physical setup?
And I have a broadband internet connection to my Windows 98 computer (if that's what you mean)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
heehee...

physical setup:
how is everything connect? what hardware do you have? how many computers? what kind of modem? what make and model router is this? are they all connected with wires? or wireless? describe the layout of the current system: wall connected to modem connected to router connected to pc? or what?

also...EXACTLY what are we trying to accomplish (i assume we wnat to go from having one computer connected to the internet to having two computers connected to the internet...correct?)

Namine

Namine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

heehee...

physical setup:
how is everything connect? what hardware do you have? how many computers? what kind of modem? what make and model router is this? are they all connected with wires? or wireless? describe the layout of the current system: wall connected to modem connected to router connected to pc? or what?

also...EXACTLY what are we trying to accomplish (i assume we wnat to go from having one computer connected to the internet to having two computers connected to the internet...correct?)

Your assumption is absolutely correct ^_^

There are two computers. The first, connected to the modem which is wired into the wall. This computer has Windows 98 as its OS. The second, which I am trying to connect to, I have a SafeCom SWLU-5400 wireless adaptor for, and has Windows XP for its OS.

The router is a 802.11b/g Wireless Broadband router, and the only indication of a make is Sum Vision written on the box, which may not even be correct.

I think this is all the information I can supply.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe good enough...

recap to make sure we're on the same page:

you've got two computers...one is windows 98 one is windows xp
you've got a broadband internet account (dsl or cable?)
you've got the 98 machine currently plugged directly into your modem (ethernet cable correct?)
the xp machine has a wireless adapter connected to it (via usb?...does the xp machine have a network card?)
you WANT to get both computers connecting to the internet

Namine

Namine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

hehe good enough...

recap to make sure we're on the same page:

you've got two computers...one is windows 98 one is windows xp
you've got a broadband internet account (dsl or cable?)
you've got the 98 machine currently plugged directly into your modem (ethernet cable correct?)
the xp machine has a wireless adapter connected to it (via usb?...does the xp machine have a network card?)
you WANT to get both computers connecting to the internet

you've got two computers...one is windows 98 one is windows xp ;; YES
you've got a broadband internet account (dsl or cable?) ;; YES (Cable)
you've got the 98 machine currently plugged directly into your modem (ethernet cable correct?) ;; YES
the xp machine has a wireless adapter connected to it (via usb?...does the xp machine have a network card?) ;; Yes by USB. I don't know if it has a network card, how would I check?
you WANT to get both computers connecting to the internet ;; YES

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to check if the xp machine has a network card....look at the back of the computer...does it have the same kind of jack that the 98 machine does to use the ethernet cable (looks like a fat phone connector)..

Namine

Namine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm not sure what you mean. You mean the USB part? That's what the cable from the modem connects to the 98 PC with.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
bah....hehe no that's not what i mean..but that's not your fault...hehe

modem hooks to the computer via usb...hmmm...complicates the use of the router here....does the modem have ethernet ports on it or just usb? (ethernet ports look like a fat version of the connector on a phone line..there SHOULD be at least one of these kinds of ports on your router) do either of the computers h ave the same kind of port on them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.bigpocket...menu=&submenu= <--- is that what your router looks like?

Namine

Namine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

bah....hehe no that's not what i mean..but that's not your fault...hehe

modem hooks to the computer via usb...hmmm...complicates the use of the router here....does the modem have ethernet ports on it or just usb? (ethernet ports look like a fat version of the connector on a phone line..there SHOULD be at least one of these kinds of ports on your router) do either of the computers h ave the same kind of port on them?

The modem has an ethernet connection. The 98 computer doesn't because it connects with a USB. The XP computer doesn't appear to have one either.