Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

=CrAzYG33K=

=CrAzYG33K=

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been experiencing Slow shutdown & Startup in XP for a long time, though the startup is OK, Shutdown takes close to 1.5 minutes.. I don't suspect any malware/spyware. I guess it's the amount of programs loading at startup/shutdown that should be the culprit :blink: . Tweaking Windows is something I'm trying my hand at.
I've Tried XP Anti-Spy (Freeware) and enabled 'Fast Shutdown' option. But It didn't have any effect. :help:
I tried the tips given in this website http://www.aumha.org.../a/shtdwnxp.htm .. Which was suggested by someone in this topic windowsXP: slow shutdown ..
This seems to be a good link.. But When I came to the 4th Suggestion there..

# Correspondent Graeme J.W. Smith reported a more obscure cause of slow shutdown: In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough that users may think that shutdown has hung. To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find “Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile.” NOTE: Since someone actually has to have set this policy, the problem will be pretty rare, but is worth mentioning. However, Forum participant “roadrunner” reported that the personal security app Privacy Eraser automatically enables “Clear virtual memory pagefile,” and, therefore, may be the cause of a slow shutdown.

I tried to try it out myself.. and ran GPEDIT.MSC and navigated to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies .. only to find this annoying pop-up :whistling:
Posted Image
What is wrong then??

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your computer has only one user then there is no group policy. Since you did not go into administrative mode windows is telling you it cant find it. Win Xp with only a single user does not go into admin mode since the user is also the admin. Group policy does not apply to the home edition of XP.

http://www.theelderg...ows_xp_prof.htm

SRX660

=CrAzYG33K=

=CrAzYG33K=

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh LOL ..
Yeah I've only one user and I'm running XP Pro.., so I can't access it. I'm so dumb, I couldn't even figure that out.. :whistling: Thanx for the tip SRX
Guess I was alarmed by the 'error' part in the message displayed :blink:. How stupid of me!
Moving On, What do you guyz think of XP-AntiSpy?
and What more actions should I follow for tweaking/optimizing XPs performance?

Edited by =CrAzYG33K=, 07 June 2006 - 01:36 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Uhm....I don't think you're dumb and I do not quite get what srx was getting at

That looks more like a corrupted group policy database to me

Open the C:\windows\Security folder, create a new folder, and then name it "OldSecurity".

Move all of the files ending in .log from the C:\windows\Security folder to the OldSecurity folder (YOU PROBABLY DO NOT HAVE ANY LOG FILES HERE IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING A SERVER--LEAVE THE LOG FOLDER ALONE ON XP PRO).

Find the Secedit.sdb file in the C:\Windows\Security\Database folder, and then rename this file to "Secedit.old".

Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.

Click FILE > Add/Remove Snap-in, and then add then scroll down to the Security and Configuration snap-in, and click ADD, then CLOSE.

Click OK

Right-click Security and Configuration and Analysis, and then click Open Database.

Browse to the C:\Windows\Security\Database folder (should be there by default), type Secedit.sdb in the File name box, and then click Open (this will create a new, blank security database).

When you are prompted to import a template, click Setup Security.inf, and then click Open.

You will hear a bunch of churning as the databse is filled

When it is done, close the MMC, reboot.

----now, on to your original problem

download and install the following

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

=CrAzYG33K=

=CrAzYG33K=

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanx for the info gerryf
But do you have any reasons why the group policy thing is damaged?
Is it required at all to rectify it? I mean it doesn't pose any threat as of now does it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
since you do not use group policy, probably is not an issue. However, the fact it is damaged leads me to believe something else is going on.

At the very least, run your self a disk check

Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

=CrAzYG33K=

=CrAzYG33K=

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanx .. Will try and post back!
But do you suspect some sorta bad sector??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not necessarily a bad sector...maybe a corrupt pointer...let's not worry about bad sectors just yet.