Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen turns blank in games, sound still playing

• Please log in to reply

Lainehart

Lainehart

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

Recently, on my brand new PC, I have been experiencing problems playing games... after about 10 minutes of playing any game my screen will go black for around 5 secs (with the game still going in the background) and keep doing it every half a minute or so.

Any help with this problem would be much appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Will it come back from black at some point or do you have to restart the whole computer? Although strange it sounds like it's going to sleep. And before all you geeks in here say "That never happens" it does, my friend has a computer and in the middle of something it will just....sleep. So first, check your sleep settings.

Second, what are you system specifications?

Lainehart

Lainehart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It comes back... the game is still running and everything, no pauses or stuttering it's just... the screen's blank lol

I have:

Pentium IV 3.4GHz with HT
1024MB DDR400
200GB SATA
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Check your computer Power Saving options and Sleep options to make sure nothing is funky.

Lainehart

Lainehart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Nope, nothing there affecting anything

A note: My monitor is actually ON when it goes blank, it's still on and functioning so I'm guessing it's something to do with my GPU

Edited by Lainehart, 07 June 2006 - 05:55 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm not sure if this would cause black-outs but what Power Supply do you have in your computer? My thinking is if the GPU is not getting enough power (because you have a lot of power hungry stuff in there) then the video might black out. I'm not sure that it would come back though.

Lainehart

Lainehart

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure exactly, but I think I have a 400W PSU (PSU is the right acronym, right? lol)