Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Erased by Partition Magic

• Please log in to reply

cghoenes

cghoenes

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

I am in need of some major help. I am in the process of upgrading my computer that I built six years ago by adding a new motherboard, processor, memory and hard drive. I installed a 250 G hard drive and partitioned the first 30 G for the operating system and programs and plan on using the remaining 220 G to store data. These drives were set up as NTFS.

I set up my old 40 G hard drive as a data drive, but could not find it in windows explorer. I installed partition magic and saw the old drive listed as a FAT32 drive. I labeled the old drive “G” and asked partition magic to turn it into a NTFS drive so my computer could see it. After the process was complete, I went into windows explorer and found the new G Drive, but it was wiped clean!

I know that there are programs that can recover files or “undelete”. What would be the best way to get my old hard drive back to the way it was? After I recover the files (hopefully), what is the best way to make it available as a storage drive on my new system?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Chris Hoenes

Advertisements

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
There is a good program out there called StellarPhoenix. It will cost you about $150 to buy it, but they do offer a free trial you can download that will tell you what files youcan get back.

I had a customer in my shop who had a raid array that got wiped out and I was able to recover a 180 Gb partition in whole for them. It was not bootable anymore, but I was able to get the data :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Converting a drive to another format is called a reformat of the drive if you do it all data in that drive is wiped. Unfortunatley its very difficult and expensive to recover data after a drive has been reformated, im afraid more than likely your data is gone for good unless you have a backup of it somewhere else.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
According to this article you cannot revert back to FAT. I suspect that Partition Magic formatted rather than converted your files.

This article explains how to convert a FAT partition to a NTFS partition without loosing data.

http://www.microsoft...convertfat.mspx