Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Scanner Installation - Permission Problem

• Please log in to reply

Jim 14224

Jim 14224

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I am trying to install a scanner. One of the easiest things to install, right? Being an external device, a scanner should be one of the simplest devices to hook-up since it is recognized by PNP.

When the scanner was plugged in, I received the following message:

"You do not have permissions to install a new device. Please contact your system administrator for assistance"

I ran the scanner's set-up program and received the same message. I checked all of the wiring to be sure it was properly connected and it was.

I work in a small office and there is no system administrator. However, a computer company did install a shared network program. Do you think that any permissions given to that program would have affected the scanner installation?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
do you have issues installing any other software? the "company" may have set up software installation restrictions to disallow such things....if you can contact that company and find out if they did this...you may be able to get the info from them on how to install

Jim 14224

Jim 14224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you. Will do. Appreciate the suggestion