Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building Gaming Comp...

• Please log in to reply

Daedalus

Daedalus

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey

I'm putting together a comp that almost any game can run on. Was thinking something like this:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
MB: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
RAM: Some 2gig generic
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB Serial-ATA-II
Video Cards*2: Asus EN7600GS SILENT/HTD/512M PCI-E
DVD-ROM: LG GSA-4167RB
Power: Enermax EG-701AX-VH 600W

I figure 600W will be enough power :whistling:
Dual videocards with passive cooling will make a lot of heat, any suggestions on what case I should get? And how many fans e.t.c. will be needed?

Advertisements

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Antec and ThermalTake cases are very cool, along with cooler master. First off, go with one 7600 or one 7900GT. The 7600GSs are mid range and SLI doesn't benefit enough of an increase for the cost. Also, don't waste all that money on SLI when DX10 is just around the corner. Rest looks good to me.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
CPU and Mobo seem fine. The RAM is good (but for gaming go with Corsair XMS or some high quality stuff if you have the mula). Hard drive is good enough, same with DVD drive. The power supply is good enough, although I'd rather put money into an Antec power supply just because I trust them ::shrugs::

I agree with the Colonel. Do not do SLI. For the cost of it, it does not provide as much of a jump as you may hope, just not worth the money. And I would actually (if possible) not buy the computer until DX10 comes out and just start off with a DX10 card (instead of having to upgrade in a month or two).

Also, one thing I like is I have two optical drives. A DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive (it can burn anything pretty much) and a straight up DVD-R drive. I just find it easier to have two because most games are on DVD's now so I can put two game CD's in for my two favorites, and never have to change CD's when I want to play diff. games. Just easier in my opinion.

Case wise, I'm a big fan of Aspire's cases because they have a lot of fans. The bad thing is they have a lot of fans, therefore a lot of noise. Warriorscot has a SuperLanboy which is a good choice, good airflow and lots of room. Do some shopping around, link what you find and we can 'review' it for you :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wouldnt go ASUS on the mobo they are more trouble than they are worth they have a few problems in most of their AMD boards, also AM2 is out and its prices are about the same as 939 and they use the new nforce series mobos. The 7200.10 drivers are out and they are as cheap as anything else and are good performers.

Now probably isnt the best time to buy a system the new intel chips which are really good are coming out in July and DX10 at the same time or there abouts, it would be worth it to wait. I also agree on sli more bother than its worth.