Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Links in Office

• Please log in to reply

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:whistling: Can somebody help me out here?? I happen to be working with office 2000, and I am linking a few excel cells to a powerpoint presentation, and all seems to be fine with the updating. however, whenever i open the two files ( the excel and the powerpoint) in different locations in the same network, keeping in mind that the files are stored in the network in the first place, the automatic update doesnt work anymore. I try to run the powerpoint as a slide show, and edit the excel from the other computer, and when i save the excel, the powerpoint doesn't update automatically like it says is will. Is there any way I can get the automatic update without having to get out of the slideshow?? I tried a web update, but whenever i save the exel, it stops the slideshow with a save prompt on each slide, even if i change just one cell on one slide!! Can somebody help me out?!?!?!??????

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
with excell you cannot edit the file from two seperate locatioins at the same time..which is basically what you're trying to do....it would be the same thing as having the excell sheet open (from the network) on your computer...while someone else has the same file open on their computer (from the network again)....excell has no methodology for allowing simultaneous manipulation/modification as it's a spreadsheet not a database.

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
so, if the powerpoint presentation is running from one location while the excell is being updated from another location on the same network, does that count as having the same excell sheet open in two locations because of the active link that i placed on the powerpoint??

Edited by RexumBellae, 07 June 2006 - 10:14 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
in theoretical practice....yes...as you're linking INTERNALLY to the spreadsheet....basically powerpoint is opening the excell sheet to check and update that cell....so logically...it's got the file open...which would mean that it couldnt' effectively be updated...OF COURSE...(in theory as i h aven't tried your setup here) you should still be able to modify the excell file itself while the power point is open....the power point just can't update itself when the excell file is open...a connundrum indeed.

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
that makes a whole lot of sense, thanks for the insight. So, there is pretty much no way i can perform that operation espically when the powerpoint is in slide show mode. Is there any way to make excell function as a database so that the update will take place, even if the powerpoint is in slide show mode?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
nope..you'd have to move to access or some other database program...as excell is not a database..

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I see. Thank you so much for the help. Hopefully this will work.........

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I think this kind of a task cannot be done. I tried creating a link to the database, but the computer is saying that is cannot create a link to the database. Do you have any suggestions??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am trying to run a powerpoint presentation on one computer and have data values in another file in another computer (still connected to the same network. this file that the data is stored is linked to the powerpoint) change the values in the slide show, but not interrupt the slide show.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
see that's where it's not possible...as once the power point slideshow is started...the data it's displaying is no longer dynamic which means it wont update from the excell sheet while it's running (not to mention the whole can't modify the excell file in two places at once...)...why do you need the data to be that dynamic?

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
My boss wants me to come up with a communication format where he can communicate to the workers of our warehouse by using a powerpoint. he wants to be able to change values or messages in the powerpoint without interrupting the slide show.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so basically....he wants to llike....send the people out on the floor info (like....how many boxes they need...or "good job guys") kind of stuff?...would they be running this on a computer or would there be monitors out there? or something?....it may be in y our best interest to do some research on maybe doing this with a webpage instead of PP...

RexumBellae

RexumBellae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it will be run on a computer with few monitors located around the warehouse for the communicating. You got the idea of what he wants to communicate to the workers. with the web page, i tried that, but whenever i save the excell and close out of it, the powerpoint(which is running on the web by now), will pop up with a save changes prompt after EVERY transition. If i know how to get rid of that, then this would be cake.

Edited by RexumBellae, 07 June 2006 - 11:21 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
see...you'd be watning to do this through the webpage WITHOUT powerpoint in the mix
i DO NOT now nor will i ever claim to have any idea about how to build or make webpages...but i know for a fact that something like this can be done

i've got a system that we are almost completed with here at work (we make car parts) that will be gathering information about the robots that make the parts (such as uptime, downtime, trouble calls, no good parts, total parts run, efficiency levels, etc..)and compiling that data into a sql database..this database get's accessed by another computer running IIS (and some special software) that is hosting a special webpage that displays all of this data onto 4 - 84 inch plasma displays out on the plant floor so that the workers can see what lines are down...how many parts are coming out..and what their efficiency levels are...of course..this whole setup isn't (will continue to not be) cheap...so i don't know that something EXACTLY like it would fit your bill BUT...a simple webpage that agregates the info put into said excell files would probably do the job MUCH better than power point