Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Drop on New Computer

• Please log in to reply

amileegirl

amileegirl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I am at my wits end and for all my searching I can't seem to resolve this problem on my own. I have a brand new Laptop PC.

Dell Inspiron 9600, Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002, Service Pack 2
T2500 CPU @ 2.00 Ghz 998 Mhz, 1.00 GB RAM

My wireless connection keeps dropping.

I have disabled the Intel ProSetWireless manager software and only the windows manager is running. Not only does it drop for no particular reason that I can see (sometimes it is every minute, sometimes every few seconds, sometimes I can go a whole 15 minutes) it is also quite slow and I'm beginning to feel like I am on a dial-up, not on a cable connection. I can't seem to have more than one webpage open at a time.

No other computer in the house is on or running at the moment but all three were working fine. The router being used is a Linksys.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: After hours of finagling and driver updates and wondering why this one laptop computer in the entire house that has two others working fine wasn't cooperating, I changed the channel on the router from 6 to 11 and now the connection is working properly and a itty bitty download doesn't take two hours (no lie). I am guess this computer is a lot more powerful and was being feisty about interference so channel six wasn't good enough for it. Figures it would be the last thing I try.

Edited by amileegirl, 09 June 2006 - 02:17 AM.

Advertisements