Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"registry could not be updated" then shuts down

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
:whistling:

whenever i try to boot my machine up to windows i get the following error:

"an error has encountered that prevents setup from continuing.

windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. to address this problem please contact your computer manufacturer. windows must now shut down.

click ok to view the setup log file"

after clicking ok the log says:
"

system setup log - (c:\windows\setuperr.log)
fatalerror:
windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. to address this problem please contact your computer manufacturer. windows must now shut down.

fatalerror:

"

i then click close and the pc shuts down. this is all i can do with it.

when i try to run in safe mode it gives me this message:

"

windows message

the system is not fully installed. please run setup again.

"

it was fully installed and working correctly up until a week or so ago. at that time i seemed to have some spyware issues, and then when i would try to log in i would get an explorer.exe application error. it would boot to safe mode successfully. after running all the spyware scans, etc... i still had the same problem so i ran the hp system recovery... and since then i've been getting this error

the pc is windows xp media center edition sp2.

please help me troubleshoot this problem!

thanks

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It looks like windows is having problems with decrypting some of it's internal keys. See here for more info.

From the looks of it, MS recomends a reinstall, so I don't know if there is anything you can do to fix it.