Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with hard drive and graphics card upgrade

• Please log in to reply

melodrameric

melodrameric

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Forgive me for being a total n00b when it comes to computers, but here goes...

I own a Toshiba Satellite M35-S320 PSM30U-7100QV laptop. I am interested in upgrading the hard drive from 60 to 100 Gb and would also like to upgrade the graphics card to something with 128 Mb of memory (mine only has 32 Mb).

Now, I've been to www.drivesolutions.com and I thought this bare drive looked good. I don't know if Drive Solutions is a reputable site or not, but if they are, that's what I was looking to get.

As far as the graphics card goes, I have no idea where to start on that one. Like I said, I'm a n00b.

Any help would be fantastic. :whistling:

Thanks,
-Eric

Advertisements

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm pretty n00bish myself, but I have built my own system and have found www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com pretty useful. Hope this helps.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The thing with laptops is that most won't allow you to upgrade the video card. many are built in with different software. So unless you know for a fact that you can upgrade (highly, highly unlikely) just give up on the video card :whistling:

In terms of hard drive, I would recommend this one ( http://www.drivesolu...temid&itemid=l9 )
over the one you chose mainly for the speed. A 5400RPM is not up to speed (good pun, no?) with the times. You will need a 7200 RPM hard drive so this (from the same site, which I would get it from) seems like the best choice.

Edited by BlackPandemic, 07 June 2006 - 02:50 PM.

melodrameric

melodrameric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wow, I did not know that about laptops. Well that sucks.

Yeah, I looked at that one too, but 1) Mine is a 4200 rpm, so I figured that even upgrading to 5400 rpm would be nice, 2) I'm not too crazy about spending $50 extra. But we'll see.

Have you ever ordered from that site before?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For a laptop 7200 is nice but not essential the faster speed gives more performance but it does also mean it uses more power and 5400rpm drives for laptops are fast enought to do the job.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I have not bought stuff from there, and I see how Warrior is thinking. The 5400RPM is fine for a laptop (good call).

melodrameric

melodrameric

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
alright, thank you both.