Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Death

• Please log in to reply

Scrilla

Scrilla

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
:whistling::help::blink::help::help::help::):help::woot::help:

Well, I built a system about 2 years ago, everythings been working fine. I've had some power problems at my house recently with the breaker flipping due to me running an AC on some horrible house wiring, my computer is on this same breaker of course connected with a surge strip. Anyway, I come home from not using my computer for a day or so and go to turn it on... nothing. Absolutely noting happens, the house power is fine. I was wondering what the first things i should try are. I was thinking to just replace mobo and keep going from there. If anyone has any ideas as to what may have happened, a remedy, or need more information from me on the situation I'll appreciate it. Thank you.

Angrily,
Scrilla

Edited by Scrilla, 07 June 2006 - 11:52 AM.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Same thing happened to me. The first day everyone had their A/C on, my computer got fried in a brown out. I thought it could be the mobo, but really, my PSU was just fried. If you have a place that does repairs, take it to them and have them diagnose it. They told me it was dead and would replace it with whatever one I wanted. I got the AntecTruPower2.0 with service for $170.

It's probably just your PSU, so either go out and get a power supply tester or take it to a shop.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Scrilla! Welcome to G2G!

First thing I would do is open up the side case and remove the 20pin connector from your motherboard, as well is the 4pin connector if there is one. Of course have the power plug on the back of the computer disconnected before you do this. Then plug the 20- and 4-pin connectors back in, plug the power cord back into the back of the computer, make sure the switch on the back is set to on (if there is a switch, some power supplies don't have one) and then attempt to turn the computer on.

If it still doesn't work, then what I suggest you do is take your power supply out (usually just four screws on the back of the computer hold it in), and take it to a local computer store and have it tested. If you happen to have a spare power supply lying around, or can borrow one from a friend/family member, then try putting that one in and see if the computer will boot up with it.

Fenor

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Awesome! One thing... what exactly are the 20 and 4 pin connectors, and where are they located. I'm off to google it while i wait for your next responce, I'll probably figure it out.

EDIT: Ok I know exactly what your talking about now, sorry. I'm gonna run upstairs and try it out now.

Thanks,
Scrilla

Edited by Scrilla, 08 June 2006 - 07:42 AM.

Scrilla

Scrilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ended up just replacing the PSU. Thanks for the great help, glad thats all I had to replace. :blink: :whistling:

Thanks,
Scrilla

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Thanks for letting us know, and glad it was only the power supply. Cheapest fix when it comes to hardware problems for a computer. :whistling:

Fenor