Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suggestion to add in a Shoutbox to GeeksToGo? [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I dont know. Maybe it would be a good idea to add a Shoutbox into the GeeksToGo Forum. It's more easy to use other than a chat client.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its more open to abuse, and its not really easier than a chat client, g2g has an irc channel and we have a quick guide on how to set it up in irc or another app, there is also an applet to access it.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
absolutely not, for the reason Warriorscot already said. With a forum this size, we would have to have Staff members monitor it literally around the clock to remove offensive "shouts". :blink: No way in heck that would be feasible. Our Staff here already go above and beyond what we would ever hope for. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
plus...we're geeks...and some of us are really old geeks (um...not kat though of course)....so we don't like shouting...it hurts the ears (especially monkey ears)

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

absolutely not, for the reason Warriorscot already said. With a forum this size, we would have to have Staff members monitor it literally around the clock to remove offensive "shouts". :blink: No way in heck that would be feasible. Our Staff here already go above and beyond what we would ever hope for. :whistling:

you wouldn't need Staff to be around the clock all the time to keep the Shoutbox from offensive shouts. you could just support a free for all shoutbox with anything goes. who cares what people do in a shoutbox, what real harm can be done? ofcouse curseing, sexually related links, insults to GeeksToGo, and other bad things could be said in the Shoutbox. but that isn't any much harm. but lol it's probabally not a good idea becuz of that cuz there is no control over a shoutbox besides createing it. not like the services u get with a chatroom with banning, etc. plus it wouldnt look professional. but really i just wanted to see what the Staff had to think about this.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

you wouldn't need Staff to be around the clock all the time to keep the Shoutbox from offensive shouts. you could just support a free for all shoutbox with anything goes. who cares what people do in a shoutbox, what real harm can be done? ofcouse curseing, sexually related links, insults to GeeksToGo, and other bad things could be said in the Shoutbox. but that isn't any much harm

that's EXACTLY why we can't do it...we WOULD need staff there all the time...this is a family forum and we can't tolerate ANY of that kind of content...not even for the time it takes between it getting posted..and us deleting it...it's not worth the trouble

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
but like i just said.. who cares what content they post in there? a free for all shoutbox is what im trying to say. what about that?

but i mean.. G2G is a very professional forum, so it prolly wouldnt look good.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...that's kind of the deal...if it's a family forum...then there isn't room for a free for all...becasuse anyone (including the kiddies) could get in there

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
ya ofcouse. the way i look at it.. is that it would make this forum look bad if u put the shoutbox in becuz this forum is professional and that shoutbox would not be.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Then why suggest it.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
:blink: I'm confused now. You just contradicted yourself. A shoutbox *would* be unprofessional. Admin (the owner/creator of this site) has worked VERY hard to make this site the family friendly and PROFESSIONAL place it is.

How would you feel if you had a child about 10 years old who wandered onto GeeksToGo..and read the "free for all" in the shoutbox? Think about it. As a mom of an 11 year old...and seeing what kinds of things are posted all over the 'net in free for all shoutboxes...I shudder at the thought of ever having one here.

*side note*

Monkey man..you totally made my day with the Kat not being old comment. I'm FEELING quite old today, since my oldest is dancing around singing about turning *gasp* 17 on Monday. :whistling:

*Kat huggles the monkey

Powerslave

Powerslave

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
alright alright alright. lol. i do now realize that it would not be such a good idea. i pretty much just wanted to know what the Staff had to think about the whole idea of haveing a Shoutbox.

but Kat, what kind of music do you sing?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Since there will be no shout box here, I think we'll call this suggestion resolved, and close the topic.