Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fail to copy files to CD

• Please log in to reply

J0hn

J0hn

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but anyway here is my problem.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 and I can't seem to copy any files(mp3, wma, wmv, mpeg etc etc) to a cd. Normally I can, but I don't know what happened this time. Here is a description of what I normally do to copy music or videos to a cd.

1. First I download whatever video I want.
2. Then I insert a cd-rw cd into "Drive E".
3. A window pops up and gives me an option to open a yellow folder.
4. I open the folder and there is nothing in the folder, which tells me that the cd I inserted is blank and that's what I want.
5. I "Drag" the video that I downloaded into the blank folder(Drive E).
6. I go to file and click on "Copy these files to CD"
7. The "Welcome to the CD Writing Wizard" window pops up.
8. I click on "Next" to burn the video.
9. Now it says I quote,

"There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive E:\.
NOTE: A writable CD is a compact disc that can be converted to a conventional or audio cd by a cd recording drive (CD-R or CD-RW). After being recorded, the cd is capable of being used in any computer CD-ROM drive or audio CD player."

Then it gives me the option to go "back, next, or cancel"

I click on Next but nothing happens. I take out the cd that I inserted and put it back in again and click next but no luck. I also have the same problem on my other computer. It does the same thing.

Why isn't it copying? Am I missing some drivers or something? What can I do to fix this?

If there is anything that I can do, please let me know because I'm all out of ideas, thanks.

Advertisements

gecko girl

gecko girl

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
have u tried it with a cd R? im my humble experience CD RW's are tempremental buggers!

J0hn

J0hn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Nahh I haven't tried it with cd R yet because I don't have any. It's worth a try tho........thanks for the reply.

J0hn

J0hn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
FOR XP SP2

Don't mean to double post, but I'm just posting this for future reference and hope if someone googles it, they will end up here. I finally found the solution. If those of you are having the same problem as I am and that is having trouble writing files to cd, please follow up on this.

If you get an error stating following,

"There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive E:\.
NOTE: A writable CD is a compact disc that can be converted to a conventional or audio cd by a cd recording drive (CD-R or CD-RW). After being recorded, the cd is capable of being used in any computer CD-ROM drive or audio CD player"

^ If you get the above error. Here is how to fix it:

This error message may occur if the IMAPI CD Burner service is turned off. To resolve this issue, make sure that the service is running and that it has not been turned off. By default, the service is set to Manual. Start the IMAPI CD Burner service, and then test it by writing to a CD-R or a CD-RW. If the service works, you may have to set the service to Automatic if it does not start in Manual mode. To set the service to Automatic, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc /s in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Double-click IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service.
3. Under Service Status, click Start.
4. Try to write data to a CD.

Goodluck :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution