Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can a mobile CPU be used in a Desk top System?

• Please log in to reply

Llylos

Llylos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need to find out if this can work. I bought a CPU and a motherboard not realizing when it came that the processor was for mobile devices, so instead of going through the hassle of trying to get the CPU sold, I'm wondering if the CPU can work with the desk top motherboard. The specs for the board- MSI AMD Athlon 64 socket 754. FSB 800MHz Hyper Transport (1600MT/s), Chipset- North bridge NVIDIA nForce4 4X. The CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz 754 Pin with 1MB L2 cache.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
neither a comment nor suggestion about this site - moving to proper forum

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The majority of mobile processors should work in desktop boards, though there are always going to be exceptions to this rule.

Your best bet is to simply shove it in, shove the heatsink on top of it, clip it down, plug the fan in, plug the monitor/keyboard/mouse in and switch it on. If it likes it, it'll say. Otherwise it, um, won't. :whistling:

You can't do any damage this way, all a mobile processor is basically a cut-down desktop processor with the ability to throttle itself load-wise.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Should work most motherboards come with a compatibility list in the manual or manufacturers website, it might take a bios update to get it to work but it will probably work.