Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Media Player 10 Video Controls

• Please log in to reply

Jack B.

Jack B.

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I just upgraded from Win 98SE to XP & also upgraded from WMP 9 to 10. I cannot adjust the video controls when playing a DVD. I can adjust them when playing a Windows Media File or a file of another format. When I slide the bar to change the setting the bar moves but returns to the original setting when I release the mouse button. The DVD does play. The only problem is changing the settings. I read elsewhere that going to the tools menu of WMP & selecting Options-Advanced-Performance & checking all the boxes might solve the problem. When I went there I found the boxes were already checked. When I was running Win 98SE I could change the settings through the Display option on the Control Panel but XP doesn't offer the same ability. (I'm trying to increase brightness). I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
by default, wmp does not play dvds--it only will play them if you have a dvd player like powerdvd or windvd installed.

Since you upgraded from 98se, you likely had a dvd player installed? If so what version? You might try re-installing that software and then seeing if it works

Jack B.

Jack B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

by default, wmp does not play dvds--it only will play them if you have a dvd player like powerdvd or windvd installed.

Since you upgraded from 98se, you likely had a dvd player installed? If so what version? You might try re-installing that software and then seeing if it works

gerryf, thank you for the response. I have PowerDvd 5 installed. I re-installed it after upgrading to XP & again after reading your response. The result is the same.

I am attempting to adjust the brightness control. PowerDvd does not have a brightness control which is why I attempted to use WMP.. I have adjusted it through the monitor with some success but I want to increase it further. For some reason DVDs are darker when I play them through my computer than when I play them through the TV.

If I understand you correctly WMP is merely forming a layer above PowerDvd. It is actually PowerDvd that is playing the DVD. If that is the case perhaps WMP can only use controls provided by PowerDvd. That is not a statement just a SWAG - a scientific wild-a..ed guess.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Have you seen this page

http://www.microsoft...e/0066.mspx#EID

Specifically, "Why can't I adjust the slider controls for video settings in the Enhancements pane?"

d_may

d_may

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
After installing Windows XP you may need to go in a reset your screen resolution.
control panel display and check your seetings. Your monitor also has settings you may want to review.

Jack B.

Jack B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Have you seen this page

http://www.microsoft...e/0066.mspx#EID

Specifically, "Why can't I adjust the slider controls for video settings in the Enhancements pane?"

Yes, I had read that advice. All the the boxes had been checked. I unchecked them, applied the changes & then re-checked them. It had no effect.

The WMP controls only fail for DVDs. They work fine for other types such as WMV files. The truly annoying thing (for me) is I could alter the settings through the Display option on the Control Panel under Win 98SE. For some reason MS took that ability out of XP.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that is really a function of your driver...did you install the newest drivers and any associated control panels?

Jack B.

Jack B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

that is really a function of your driver...did you install the newest drivers and any associated control panels?

gerryf, No I did not install any new driver for the monitor. To be honest I assumed XP would continue to use the existing driver. When I ran the Windows XP compatibilty program it did not single out the monitor as a cause for concern. During the upgrade XP re-booted a number of times & I suppose it is possible it changed drivers at some point although the was no notification of it if that happened. The only drivers I have had to re-install were my audio & printer drivers. Other than the WMP situation I cannot see any change in the way my monitor is working. The monitor is not new - 1997 or 98. It is an IBM MM75 & came with the desktop I purchased at the time. I have since upgraded the processor but the monitor was (& is) working fine so I saw no need to upgrade.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not for the monitor....that will not matter...the display adapter

Windows xp does have many basic drivers but these rarely offer the performance and features of the manufacturer's

download Everest Home

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

unzip it, install it, and then save a report and ATTACH it to your next post.

To do this, go to FILE > SAVE AS

put it on your desktop and give it a file name

Now click the ADD REPLY button on the bottom of this thread, click the BROWSE button beneath the text bo and navigate to your desktop, select your file and click the OPEN button, and then click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT button next to the BROWSE button

Click Add reply button

Jack B.

Jack B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
gerryf, I hope this is the information you need. If not I will get any additional info. Thanks for the time you are taking.

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.s3graphic...are_archive.jsp

download

420drv ProSavageDDR (420) Drivers

Jack B.

Jack B.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
gerryf, That worked. Please accept my sincerest thanks. Jack B.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:whistling:

cool