Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound/Scrolling down is wierd too.

• Please log in to reply

vinnie123

vinnie123

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well I just finished dumping/re-installing windows Xp on my computer because of a nasty little virus trouble. ((little note, im computerly challenged, so the problem may be easily fixed, but im just a dumbass))

I am sure I have the speakers plugged in correctly, the volume is up. other then that I dunno what could be wrong, but somethign obviously is. I cant hear any sound, and I use AIM(instant messaging) So i know that everytime someone sends me an instant message it is supposed to make a sound. Well my computer just "beeps"

Everytime there is supposed to be a sound coming out of my speakers my computer "beeps"

I dunno if I am supposed to "configure" my sound or something that I dont know how to do.. lol But yeah..
------------------
Another problem I have noticed after the installing of the XP(home edition) when I use the little wheel on my mouse to scroll down any page, or I move a box, it like "laggs"
When I scroll down it laggs down kinda. I dunno if that is a good explination, but yeah, it is annoying. It didnt do that before.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi vinnie123...

Let's see if we can sort out the sound issue first.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Hardware" tab, click on the "Device Manager" button. Do you see any yellow ? or ! next to anything?

wannabe1

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I had this same problem with my computer...usually its a simple fix, with installing a driver for your sound card. It's simpler than it sounds, I'm sure you can do it, with some instruction, but wannabe is right, we need more information first.

vinnie123

vinnie123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah i do see yellow '?'s. There are ?'s next to

- Other devices
-Multimedia audio controller
-Video controller
-Video controller(VGA Compatible)

O,o

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like you need to install a few drivers. Do you have a disk or disks for this? If not, download, install, and run Everest. Save a report in HTML format and attach it to your next post...this will give us the information we need to help you find the drivers you need.

tschrock

tschrock

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I agree. The sound problem means you probably need a driver. Also, you are most likely using the default Windows video driver. That would cause the choppy scrolling as you move down a page using your wheel mouse or the scroll arrows on the screen.

Visit the websites of your hardware manufacturers and look for updated drivers.

vinnie123

vinnie123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not sure what this did, but there ya go, hope you figure out what I need to do. And thanks!

lol

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Most of your drivers will be found on THIS PAGE.

The sound driver is the SiS 7012 PCI Audio Driver

The network driver is the SiS 900 LAN driver

AGP video is SiS AGP VxD Driver (this is a motherboard driver)

Your video card drivers (Catalyst 6.5 Windows XP...this is a multi-part download) are located on the ATI Website. Choose the download for your connection speed. Follow the download and install instructions provided there.

vinnie123

vinnie123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The audio one, I downloaded it, and extracted all files, then I went to Setup, and ran that, it got a little bit threw and said " ~563870397

Then it said " Fail to install Audio driver for XP"

I think im just an idiot.. cus Im now trying to do the Sis 900 Lan driver one and this is what I did

Went to website, clicked on USA on it then hit "go"

Then it downloaded and I opened the "lan" folder
and I see:

WinXP so I click that

and now im at
: NETOEM
README
UNINST
OEMNIC
SISNIC
folders, and I dont know what to do from here.. maybe I screwed up the first one(audio) too, not sure what to do now

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Driver installation can be real fun... :whistling:

Download the zip files and extract them to a folder you will remember...create a new one for each if you'd like.

Go to Device Manager and locate the device with the yellow ! or ?...you may have to expand (click +) the catagory to find the actual device. Right click on the device and choose "Update Driver". Let the wizard try to find the driver automatically...if that fails to find the driver, do it again, only browse to the folder you extracted the files to when the wizard gives you the option (browse button).

Do this for each of the drivers from the ECS site.

I think the ATI Catalyst Video drivers have an installer package.

vinnie123

vinnie123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cant figure out the '?' next to the Vidio Control. Im guessing that is the problem with the "laggy scrolling" becuase my sound is doing great!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's look at a couple settings for the scolling problem first.

Open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Under the "Advanced" tab, locate "Use smooth scrolling" in the list and make sure it's checked. "Apply the change (if you made one) and close Internet Options, then double click on the "Mouse" icon. Under the "Buttons" tab, set the wheel to the motion you like best.

Any improvement?

dr_deathspike

dr_deathspike

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am a newb and still dont know all the stuff abount this site so:

i have the same problem as vinnie had/has.
I have a compaq cm2130 and i did the stuff that wannabe said do but i dont see any ? or !
and I have tried, and tried , and tried to find the drivers but the (derogatory comment) site keep rerouting me and its making me angry.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello dr_deathspike...

In order to avoid confusion, would you kindly start a new topic in this forum? As you found out, no two problems are exactly the same even if the symptoms match. either myself or another tech will be happy to assist with your computer problem.

Thanks! :whistling:

wannabe1

vinnie123

vinnie123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry its been a while, but I tried the Smooth scrolilng thing and it was already checked. I do believe it is a "driver" problem

you said the ATI catalyst comes with an installer package or something? Whats that mean?((keep in mind im an idiot))

I play a game and this video problem is making me very mad cus it creates a choppy lag in my game as well..